• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother-fucking goddamn Off-season Thread

There's lots of ways to get tougher in the lineup without turning a 40 goal player on your roster to a significantly lesser 20 goal player on your roster.

You replace the Kerfoot's, Bunting's, Jarnkrok's, etc with that element.
So your solution is to once again tweak around four core softies? That's new.
Thing is, there's not a lot of players like Wilson and for a few reasons. One of which, that the current Wilson is probably going to experience soon, is that they tend to fall off of a cliff physically around 30-31 yrs old.
Fair. He's getting close. I know you guys don't like him but you're not making the real decisions, would they entertain Anderson plus should Hughes come knocking. Yes I know hell of a plus. Point is, he's a meathead but my goodness he gets pissed off and smashes everything on the ice. He'd put up 25 easily on your second line.

Thing is, I don't want Nylander. Yes he's super talented but he plays like a Euro and this is the NHL.
The other is that maintaining that level of physical play while being a useful offensive contributor is fucking hard. Only 2 players who had more than 200 hits this year (using that as an analogue for elite physical play) had more than 20 goals this season. Last season it was 4. Season prior (covid shortened) only 2 high level physical players had more than 15 goals.

So unless Ottawa is giving up Brady Tkachuk (only guy on all 3 lists), I don't see the point in paying a premium for that type of player. Build the rest of your roster that way.
Yeah, they're pricks sure but those Tkachuks play some nasty hockey.

Do we lose yesterday if Samsonov stays in and Knies was playing? Two simple variables purely tied to players’ absences. If that changes the result to a win (also consider game 2 with Knies), and if Lilly gets a regular shift, is blowing up a young franchise that just advanced past their prior obstacle the right move?

Stay the course. Keep our heads screwed on straight.

So your solution is to once again tweak around four core softies? That's new.

Hello sir, do you mind if we talk to you about Jesus....and trading John Tavares?

mormon-missionaries.jpg

and fwiw...I don't mind the idea of trading one of Nylander or even Marner. Just not for a 3rd liner because facey punchy and shit. If you can get similar calibre player that is "harder to play against", give'r. I was on the Marner for Tkachuk train roughly 5 minutes after Mitch signed this contract if you remember.
Fair. He's getting close. I know you guys don't like him but you're not making the real decisions, would they entertain Anderson plus should Hughes come knocking.

Well this is just fucking insane, like I keep telling you it is...nevermind attaching it to Nylander.

Lunacy, pure and simple.
Thing is, I don't want Nylander. Yes he's super talented but he plays like a Euro and this is the NHL.

So did....Kuznetsov, Backstrom, Kessel, Palat, Kane, Burakovsky and a stack of others over the years on Cup winning teams.

Nylander scoring at a 35/82 pace over the last 4 years in the playoffs isn't why we're losing.

Do we lose yesterday if Samsonov stays in and Knies was playing? Two simple variables purely tied to players’ absences. If that changes the result to a win (also consider game 2 with Knies), and if Lilly gets a regular shift, is blowing up a young franchise that just advanced past their prior obstacle the right move?

So it was up to kid and goalie to win us a game? Nothing to do with scoring no goals 3 games in the row? Ok than. How about 1 regulation win in whole playoff?

Yes you do

Glad to see lof is on the presto luck bandwagon. Unfortunately I think we're taking it too far today. They had all the presto luck in round 1. They're still playing shit this series against a better team. And their presto luck has not continued. Not ideal to continually rely solely on luck. Gotta play well at some point too.

So it was up to kid and goalie to win us a game? Nothing to do with scoring no goals 3 games in the row? Ok than. How about 1 regulation win in whole playoff?
I never set it was "up to". I said Knies, Lilly, and Sammy very well may have tipped the scales here.

Glad to see lof is on the presto luck bandwagon. Unfortunately I think we're taking it too far today. They had all the presto luck in round 1. They're still playing shit this series against a better team. And their presto luck has not continued. Not ideal to continually rely solely on luck. Gotta play well at some point too.
I think they played really well in the first two games. Bobrovsky was amazing in one, and they had horrendous luck in the other. Those two could've easily been wins. And then they showed up flat in game 3 and lost, with a couple of key injuries, notably their goalie. This is really a 2-1 lead with just a few bounces their way in the first two games.

I spent all day watching last week’s games and with a few re-assigned bounces the Bolts are playing the Bruins on Wednesday. Bruins are up 2 games to 1, in case you were wondering

Hello sir, do you mind if we talk to you about Jesus....and trading John Tavares?

mormon-missionaries.jpg
Ok dude this has me in tears. Another of life's funny coincidences, I found this stub searching in a drawer this morning.

IMG_0815.jpeg
and fwiw...I don't mind the idea of trading one of Nylander or even Marner. Just not for a 3rd liner because facey punchy and shit. If you can get similar calibre player that is "harder to play against", give'r. I was on the Marner for Tkachuk train roughly 5 minutes after Mitch signed this contract if you remember.
Yes I do remember.
Well this is just fucking insane, like I keep telling you it is...nevermind attaching it to Nylander.

Lunacy, pure and simple.
You'll need a drink if it happens. Cost certainty and physicality is mighty appealing to some GMS. Dubas leaves and they go retro dinosaur for GM? Could happen.

So did....Kuznetsov, Backstrom, Kessel, Palat, Kane, Burakovsky and a stack of others over the years on Cup winning teams.
None of those guys won cups on a team with four core softies.
Nylander scoring at a 35/82 pace over the last 4 years in the playoffs isn't why we're losing.
No, he isn't, but you gotta give to get and again, is it Kyle doing the horse trading?

1683583097239.gif

all of us have abundant time to discuss hockey games…what a luxury that is when you look around the world, so we’re all prestolucky to be here

I think his point is it shouldn't have mattered. Needed a win man.
No doubt about it. Needed a win. And still have a chance to get one or more. The issue is whether the lack of a win there should cause us to trade off a bunch of ultra elite players in their mid 20s just as they actually finally advanced against a fantastic team. I don't need to see Nylander put up 50 goals with the Avs just so that we can say we changed something here.

Back