• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother-fucking goddamn Off-season Thread

I though this is well known....a hockey game only has a limited amount of grade A scoring chances, so relatively easy to be the opposite of opportunistic. Unlike basketball, where each team is given a ton of possessions.

This rationale doesn't explain soccer...

What and where are even realistic for Matthews in a trade if he doesn’t want to extend? Knowing an extension is part of any deal.

FWIW I’ll be stunned if he wants out

After a couple of days to think it over, I still say flush all of these guys.

Whether you want to keep him or not or however much of the blame you think should be directed his way, I think the bottom line is that Matthews is leaving in the summer of 2024 for one of LA, NYR or Chicago.

I’m sure he’d have stuck around if he was getting paid AND the Leafs were a contender. But he’s not sticking around for whatever the hell this is, to answer the endless questions from endless media members about this group’s accumulated failures and to absorb the rage and disappointment of Leaf fans.

So trade him before his NMC kicks in on July 1st, or watch him walk out the door for nothing following one more crushing playoff disappointment next spring.

And then of course, boot Mitch Caillou and anyone else with trade value out the door behind him.

Looking back at how awesome things seemed when we drafted these guys, I can't fucking believe we're even talking about this right now. It's surreal.

It was the origin of Presto Luck after all.

But at the end of the day it's not like the 8 seed who sneaks into the playoffs on shit nerdies win cups. Leafs have to be way better, otherwise "luck" is going to have way too big of an impact on their games. And you won't win like that. And most of their bad luck is based on missed PP opportunities, not 5 on 5 play, where they've gotten soundly outplayed. So unlike previous years, I'm not gonna wear this one like a badge of honor. Outplay them 5 on 5 first, and then cry about luck.

Looking back at how awesome things seemed when we drafted these guys, I can't fucking believe we're even talking about this right now. It's surreal.

Honestly, what really seemed surreal to me was the years immediately following the Matthews draft where it seemed like an unprecedentedly studly core group of superstar players in their primes capable of winning Cups and contending for a generation had dropped into our laps.

This right here feels more familiar and right for fans of this wonderful franchise.

Honestly, what really seemed surreal to me was the years immediately following the Matthews draft where it seemed like an unprecedentedly studly core group of superstar players in their primes capable of winning Cups and contending for a generation had dropped into our laps.

This right here feels more familiar and right for fans of this wonderful franchise.

might not be watching the Leafs much for a while, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on how these guys do outside the Toronto vortex of failure and pressure.

might not be watching the Leafs much for a while, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on how these guys do outside the Toronto vortex of failure and pressure.

Except for Tavares, each and every fuckin’ one of them will surely win a Cup after leaving Toronto.

Maybe even Tavares too, but it’d have to be on a bargain, Cup-chasing contract after his current deal has concluded.

It was the origin of Presto Luck after all.

But at the end of the day it's not like the 8 seed who sneaks into the playoffs on shit nerdies win cups. Leafs have to be way better, otherwise "luck" is going to have way too big of an impact on their games. And you won't win like that. And most of their bad luck is based on missed PP opportunities, not 5 on 5 play, where they've gotten soundly outplayed. So unlike previous years, I'm not gonna wear this one like a badge of honor. Outplay them 5 on 5 first, and then cry about luck.
Exactly. Good teams are the ones who eliminate the possibility of luck being able to take something away from them that they deserve to have. When you fuck around playing silly buggers and allow an inferior opponent to hang around in games they have no business being in, you run the risk of one unlucky break becoming the thing that beats you. That's why you need to curb-stomp weaker opponents so as to eliminate luck and hope from gestating within them.

Exactly. Good teams are the ones who eliminate the possibility of luck being able to take something away from them that they deserve to have. When you fuck around playing silly buggers and allow an inferior opponent to hang around in games they have no business being in, you run the risk of one unlucky break becoming the thing that beats you. That's why you need to curb-stomp weaker opponents so as to eliminate luck and hope from gestating within them.
Oh like Boston?

Whatever happens to the Leafs this year, Boston had the most epic meltdown of the playoffs.

Oh like Boston?
Boston dicked around and allowed themselves to get beaten by an inferior opponent.

Good teams don't waste half the game probing for weaknesses to exploit in their opponents. Good teams attack their opponents' strengths and crush them.

Back