• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother-fucking goddamn Off-season Thread

Boston dicked around and allowed themselves to get beaten by an inferior opponent.

Good teams don't waste half the game probing for weaknesses to exploit in their opponents. Good teams attack their opponents' strengths and crush them.
So Boston with 65 wins isn't a good team?

So the Habs were a great team when they went to the finals even though they could barely win a game in the regular season?

Or maybe we can just acknowledge that the playoffs are a fucking free for all because anything can happen over a short 7 game set?

Looking back at how awesome things seemed when we drafted these guys, I can't fucking believe we're even talking about this right now. It's surreal.

Yes, exactly. The most talented and exciting bunch of players that I had ever seen on the Leafs and all that was needed was good goaltending, a good supporting cast with good coaching/managing and we were on the way with a cup coming soon.

What the fuck happened?

I'm on team keep the core together unless you find a like for like (skill wise) trade that makes sense for a winner like some people have said. Think that is pretty unlikely though.

I want Keefe gone and some real research into getting a good coach in that meshes better with Dubas' original philosophy.

I'd like the 4th line to be hungry players with potential upside, 3rd line a checking like centred around Acciari.

Why are Hellebuycks best days behind him?

I’d take him on this team.

Yeah, he had maybe his best year this season.

My bigger concern is that he's only got 1 year left on this deal and he's a UFA at 31 yrs old. Give me a few years of control and it's a different discussion. Have to assume that his extension number starts with an 8 and I don't like the idea of giving any goalie that much.

I do feel they'll have to, from a PR perspective do more than just a coaching change.
Here’s Leaf PR strategy:

Opening night in October. See you then.

#soldout

They don’t “have” to do anything other than the smart move that makes the team better.

Yeah, he had maybe his best year this season.

My bigger concern is that he's only got 1 year left on this deal and he's a UFA at 31 yrs old. Give me a few years of control and it's a different discussion. Have to assume that his extension number starts with an 8 and I don't like the idea of giving any goalie that much.
Maybe we go against the grain for once and lock in an elite goalie. We’ve tried going mid tier. We’ve tried going cheap. We’ve tried going good but often injured. Maybe we allocate a chunk of the cap to a goalie for once and maybe we see him steal a round for us.

it’s pretty pathetic that the best leaf goalie of my lifetime was a 40 year old alcoholic. It’s been too long.

Go the way of the 2000s NJ devils and build from the net out. Bring back the trap in some semblance. Go all plugs and zero skill. Go all defense. Grind out other teams 2-1 every game.

Maybe we go against the grain for once and lock in an elite goalie. We’ve tried going mid tier. We’ve tried going cheap. We’ve tried going good but often injured. Maybe we allocate a chunk of the cap to a goalie for once and maybe we see him steal a round for us.

it’s pretty pathetic that the best leaf goalie of my lifetime was a 40 year old alcoholic. It’s been too long.
You can’t bank on any goalie enough to pay them bank. Assholes, always remember that.

Have to try something different. This team as constructed is bullshit.

rebuild the net-out. Bring in defensive minded forwards. Bring in a defensive minded coach. Grind the other teams into dust. You know what’s better than have a good offense? Winning games.

I can’t believe how bad this group is in the playoffs.

Have to try something different. This team as constructed is bullshit.

rebuild the net-out. Bring in defensive minded forwards. Bring in a defensive minded coach. Grind the other teams into dust. You know what’s better than have a good offense? Winning games.

I can’t believe how bad this group is in the playoffs.
Show me where this grind to dust path is successful this year

Back