• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother-fucking goddamn Off-season Thread

The Leafiest possible outcome in my mind is that we play the entire upcoming season with Nylander and Matthews as pending UFA’s, and all of the media coverage around the team is insufferable as a result.

Then we lose in the first round to Dubas’s Pens, who then go on to win the Cup.

And in the off-season, Matthews & Nylander both walk as UFA’s, with Nylander signing with the Pens.
Yep

conor mcdavid hawks for used car dealerships.

jack eichel helped sell mattresses in buffalo.

their commercials are filmed in 4:3 standard definition.

noel acciari played 20 games for the leafs and got a national spot with tim hortons because he plays mushy cookie.

Treliving seems to understand that playing in Toronto is a pretty good gig for an NHL player. Dubas, who would rather be in SSM or it’s American equivalent, maybe thought they had to overpay to get players to stay.
Well said. Deserving of more than just a lazy like.

conor mcdavid hawks for used car dealerships.

jack eichel helped sell mattresses in buffalo.

their commercials are filmed in 4:3 standard definition.

noel acciari played 20 games for the leafs and got a national spot with tim hortons because he plays mushy cookie.
That's why I laugh when people say "Taxes". Mitch Marner has more endorsement deals than any NHL player.
Players have it made here. They know it. They've also never missed the playoffs. Yes, that's a big deal.

That's why I laugh when people say "Taxes". Mitch Marner has more endorsement deals than any NHL player.
Players have it made here. They know it. They've also never missed the playoffs. Yes, that's a big deal.
And many don't care. Still not worth the tradeoff for the introvert.

And many don't care. Still not worth the tradeoff for the introvert.
That Forbes article about Mark Stone's deal was awesome. He avg 70K more each year compared to playing in Canada for the same contract (And he plays in a place with no state taxes).

Dubas got bent over, and it set up the next 5 years to fail.

Saw a clip from Fitzgerald talking about how he stressed to all his players that they can't get top dollar and win. Sure he got lucky with Hughes. But Bratt took less than Hughes. Hamilton didn't get $11 mill as a UFA. Meier signed for a reasonable amount without hesitation.

I hope they are taking a hard stance that they have to take less to win. There is no reason the contracts have to be done today.

That Forbes article about Mark Stone's deal was awesome. He avg 70K more each year compared to playing in Canada for the same contract (And he plays in a place with no state taxes).
It's the same thing in Montreal. Especially for French guys. Endorsements out the wazoo and they still don't care because of the potentially rabid environment.

Saw a clip from Fitzgerald talking about how he stressed to all his players that they can't get top dollar and win. Sure he got lucky with Hughes. But Bratt took less than Hughes. Hamilton didn't get $11 mill as a UFA. Meier signed for a reasonable amount without hesitation.

I hope they are taking a hard stance that they have to take less to win. There is no reason the contracts have to be done today.
Good post

Hughes was far from a finished product and took security for life , plus he already had injury issues

Good fair deal for both sides , why risk further injury and bridge and hope you get a bit more

A lot of these kids from Markham or Flin Flon want to play golf on their off days while their puck bunnies tan poolside.

In fairness to Dubas, Leafs did face shit no other team does. It seems Marner was presented with 2 offersheets and COVID happened right after all signed their deals. The Dreger offersheet show for 1 year was so ludicrous.
Not saying Dubas did a great job, but holy fuck.
With cap going up minimum 8 million next 2 summers I can't see players not getting as much as they can. I think the day of 8x 9.5 for a superstar are over.

I don't hate the thesis of paying your stars so you're not tempted to spend big on the middle class, which is historically where the worst contracts are. JVR, Okposo, Backes, Nielsen, etc.

But yeah, Kyle obviously wasn't a great negotiator and his actions have made it hard on Tree Bitch. We may not love where the numbers end up but the deals will get done.. I wouldn't panic.

With hindsight they should have just offered big $ (But not as big) fast. But teams were not doing that much back then. Now it's a big trend.
But again, this market is so different than the 31 others. They were a top 5 team and on a game day there was a Pontus Holmberg offersheet last year. segment.

Back