• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother-fucking goddamn Off-season Thread

With hindsight they should have just offered big $ (But not as big) fast. But teams were not doing that much back then. Now it's a big trend.
But again, this market is so different than the 31 others. They were a top 5 team and on a game day there was a Pontus Holmberg offersheet last year. segment.

Teams were doing that then. The signed Matthews a year early. Waiting till the last second with Marner and Willy was dumb. They should have signed them the offseason before.

And the fact that they didn't get max term on anyone is kind of crazy too.

Dubas just did a terrible job on all those deals.

I think I’m at the point where if our core group are determined to set a new benchmark for superstar pay and/or take short-term extensions, I’d prefer to just trade them all or let them walk and start over from scratch.

• Wow
Reactions: BG
The Matthews deal was fine. He wasted an entire season of Nylander, but that was partially his fault for deciding to show up with body builder physique. The Marner deal was shit though, yeah.

It was still better than the alternative of losing any of them though, which many GMs would have done in that scenario.

And Tavares slept in Leafs pajamas. He wasn't going to San Jose. Why the hell did they make him the second highest paid player in the league?

Vegas wouldn't give Stone/Pietro that much. New Jersey wouldn't give Hamilton that much.

And Tavares slept in Leafs pajamas. He wasn't going to San Jose. Why the hell did they make him the second highest paid player in the league?

Vegas wouldn't give Stone/Pietro that much. New Jersey wouldn't give Hamilton that much.
I read JT was offered 10.5 and said no. He wasn't taking less than that even for the Leafs. There's only so much less he can take after getting offered more by everyone.Panarin got 11.6 the next summer.
I don't like the deals but COVID fucked things up bad.

There is no doubt Leafs need to push back now. These guys have it made here and it's a great place to play.

JT was going to pass on being a Leaf over $1 mill? You can't sell him on winning a cup in Toronto, and making way more money off ice? Its not rocket science.

How do all these other GMs that win cups convince players to take less?

All I am saying is if Dubas was still GM the deals would be done and Matthews would have 3 years $14 mill, and Nylander 5 years $10.5, or whatever they are asking for.

Just note that this is the first time in history shorter term has been considered to be in the players' favor.

Well it has been for star players. They take the career altering injury risk, but that risk is relatively low these days for guys in their early-mid 20s. Teams are probably better off taking that risk most of the time.

How many max term contracts to star players have been bad for the team? Other than goalies, not too many. Seguin and Benn? Tavares is one of the worst probably, and he's still really good.

that's not true. every single guy who signed a 1 year deal and then cashed in afterward, instead of signing a lower amount just to get term, would be an example.

We are talking about the best players in the league. Its a very small number of players its better for. Like maybe 5% of all players.

You can get better deals if your players get off to slow starts in their careers. Leafs players were so good while NOT getting the minutes others get from year 1.
I still have to deal with seeing how Brad Marchand took a disccount. Jesus.

The Leafs were good early. But so was Makar. And Rantanen. Adam Fox won a Norris on his ELC. None of them needed to be the top 1-2 paid players at their position.

Back