• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother-fucking goddamn Off-season Thread

Bertuzzi doesn't really hit or play physical or anything but he does one thing that the Leafs as a team don't do much of and I know it's something Dubas and Keefe focused on from that HBO documentary thingy: score goals in the dirtiest of areas. Statistically speaking, I believe there is a clear uptick in % of goals scored in the dirty areas in the playoffs and screened pointshots and whatnot (can't find the analysis now) so Bert should help big time in this regard. It addresses their biggest need as the Leafs were often last place in rebound/deflection goals. Not sure how they did last year tho.

But I still want a Muzzin replacement too.

No, we use him as a proof of concept for every other guy who wants to pump their value on 1 year deals. Focus on that and drafting/developing our own top 6 talents to surround the big 3 with.
I see Domi as a guy like that. One year one and done, unless he's so good and wants to come back for cheap again, and we want him.

Bertuzzi is a different beast. That grit, physicality plus offense that he brings could be the missing element (the Tucker/Roberts element) and he should kill it with the offensive talent around him. I'd lean big time towards keeping him if he doesn't pull a Tyson Barrie and be complete fucking shit suddenly.

I see Domi as a guy like that. One year one and done, unless he's so good and wants to come back for cheap again, and we want him.

Bertuzzi is a different beast. That grit, physicality plus offense that he brings could be the missing element (the Tucker/Roberts element) and he should kill it with the offensive talent around him. I'd lean big time towards keeping him if he doesn't pull a Tyson Barrie and be complete fucking shit suddenly.
Worth remembering that Bertuzzi is 220th out of 366 forwards in hits/60 the past two seasons. FWIW Domi is 354th. I wouldn't expect Tucker/Roberts physicality in that way. He gets to the tough spots tho for sure.

Worth remembering that Bertuzzi is 220th out of 366 forwards in hits/60 the past two seasons. FWIW Domi is 354th. I wouldn't expect Tucker/Roberts physicality in that way. He gets to the tough spots tho for sure.
He may not be "hitting" for the beancounters, but he's definitely a physical player whenever I've seen him.

Bert just plays hard. He’s not a physical guy but he fights through checks and plays high energy.

I think expectations for domi are probably way off. He’s a smallish skill guy, but the first skilled depth they’ve had in years.

Bert just plays hard. He’s not a physical guy but he fights through checks and plays high energy.

I think expectations for domi are probably way off. He’s a smallish skill guy, but the first skilled depth they’ve had in years.
How much do you charge for your real estate services?

Just look what he does to this stick! Not physical...

He's an asshole for sure. And Domi too. But they're not gonna be throwing their bodies around. Probably a good thing as Bertuzzi has some injury issues to begin with!
Excuse me, but what does every hockey player have in common? They're holding a stick. Even the goalie.

Now look at what he did. He PILFERED the stick, basically a kidnapping without involving any child, and took it to his bench and gave it a beating that it will never recover from. Since that incident, that stick has seen exactly zero action in the NHL, or any other league for that matter.

Imagine then, what could happen to Leafs' opponents' sticks going forward. Not one of them is safe from this guy.

Yeah it’s not about hitting but he plays hard and is an annoying little shit.

Domi too.

the leafs hit as much as anyone last year.

Rielly on Dubie:

«I wasn't expecting it, but I've gotten used to being surprised, I'll say. I think my first few years when players got traded — obviously teammates, but also friends — when they leave, you're taken aback. Then, you just get used to a new reality. I think that was the case with Kyle leaving.

We don't spend too much time really worrying about it or thinking about it now. We're just onward, and we're thinking about the next thing. Our group is outstanding. I spent time with [new GM] Brad [Treliving] and with Keefer [head coach Sheldon Keefe] and all the staff, and I think we're in a great spot. So, at this point, we're just trying to look forward, and we're pumped about where we're at and what's going on. I think everybody feels good now, which is really all that matters.»

Yeah it’s not about hitting but he plays hard and is an annoying little shit.

Domi too.

the leafs hit as much as anyone last year.
Bunting was an annoying little shit too, but didn't do much in the playoffs and didn't help us win (well, that elbow/shoulder...).

I don't really care about circus antics like Bunting and Marchand. I like gritty, hard-nosed play to scratch and claw in front of the net, not to dick around after the whistle and pick up penalties too.

Back