• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother-fucking goddamn Off-season Thread

Had Gretzky played more on the PK (he did when they were down in the third) he would probably own the record for most shorthanded goals and points too.

Gretzky was never my favorite but I just can't see how anyone can have him anywhere but #1.

Was he though? Gretzky had 2 seasons (adjusted) with more points than Marios best season and 3rd + 4th with more adjusted points than Marios 2nd best season.

Of the top 15 seasons ever, gretzky has 7 of them

Gotta be careful with adjusted seasons - they don't pro-rate them to 82gms. Mario actually had better peak adjusted seasons.

Gretz had the biggest impact on the game too. Mario/Orr were what creating the perfect player in NHL24 look like. But Gretz showed that the area below the goal line is actually very valuable to generate offense and created modern hockey.

Gotta be careful with adjusted seasons - they don't pro-rate them to 82gms. Mario actually had better peak adjusted seasons.
It's hard to compare because of the health reasons sure but staying healthy enough is a big part of being the best.

Super Mario had the IQ, size and talent. He was a unicorn and I would have loved to see what would have happened without the back problems and cancer.

I actually get annoyed at the focus on shot blocking and playing PK. Stars can even score more without that nonsense and sell the game better.
Was it really good Matthews led all forwards in blocked shots last year? I don't like it myself.

I actually get annoyed at the focus on shot blocking and playing PK. Stars can even score more without that nonsense and sell the game better.
Was it really good Matthews led all forwards in blocked shots last year? I don't like it myself.

He does it with stick checking mostly, he's not out there blocking one timers with his face

Mario was ridiculous. That first game back against the Leafs after retirement is burned into my memory. The fucker was past his prime, hadn't even played in 3 years and no one could touch him. And he played with Jagr and Francis. Just not fair.
That game was so incredible. How do you not play for 3 and a half years then decide in a December game to return and do that?
I get he had his back issues, but he could have come back much earlier than that. too bad

This got me:
As for injury, it’s tough when great players get hurt, but it’s also a loser’s lament when it comes to rating and ranking the all-time best. In the end, all that matters is performance, which is why Wayne Gretzky is considered the best ever NHLer, followed by Gordie Howe"

Does anyone consider those 2 1-2 for greatest ever? Isn't Howe at best #4 on most lists?
Lemieux is my best ever.

Had Gretzky played more on the PK (he did when they were down in the third) he would probably own the record for most shorthanded goals and points too.

Gretzky was never my favorite but I just can't see how anyone can have him anywhere but #1.
Take the cancer, the back injuries that didn’t allow him to tie his own skates, and the years he missed before coming back, and let’s see what Lemieux’s totals look like then.

Part of performance is durability though. I mean, part of the reason he had back injuries is because he considered off season training to be golfing an additional 18 holes and cutting back to just one pack a day of smokes. It's not like his back injuries were a style of play issue, he was as contact averse as Gretzky was, just bigger.

Back