• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother-fucking goddamn Off-season Thread

Favorite is the right word for me. Favorite player to watch.

I love his record of scoring a goal every possible way in a single game. 5 goals.

Even Strength
Shorthanded
Penalty shot
PP
EN

Never done before or since. Some games he was just God like on the ice.
There was nobody more dominant, ever. Part of it was that he was naturally just huge and strong, but yet also fast, and skilled beyond even the imagination. Favorite, but also best.

Part of performance is durability though. I mean, part of the reason he had back injuries is because he considered off season training to be golfing an additional 18 holes and cutting back to just one pack a day of smokes. It's not like his back injuries were a style of play issue, he was as contact averse as Gretzky was, just bigger.
This is more speculation than anything else, but even if true, probably 95% of players back then did the same thing anyway. The injuries were likely more about dmen hacking and crosschecking their hearts out with no penalties called back then, against the most dangerous guy in the league, waterskiing off his back like some of the old clips will show. The guy was manhandled every single game, and there was no McSorley to stand in the way of it.

He played 570 fewer games than Gretz, finished with just 204 fewer goals. No question that record would've been beaten and beaten good, maybe the first and only 1,000 goal player in the league. As for the assists, who knows what the health issues deprived him of, but it would've been close, and it would've basically come down to who do you like better, rather than just dismissing the comparison because of the point differential.

This is more speculation than anything else, but even if true, probably 95% of players back then did the same thing anyway.

But not Gretzky. Gretzky did about as much off season training (a mixture of on ice and playing other sports) as anyone from that era.
The injuries were likely more about dmen hacking and crosschecking their hearts out with no penalties called back then, against the most dangerous guy in the league, waterskiing off his back like some of the old clips will show. The guy was manhandled every single game, and there was no McSorley to stand in the way of it.

I mean, you can't talk about speculation out of one side of your mouth and then speculate out of the other side. Like every other team during that era, Pittsburgh had fighters on their roster too.

But not Gretzky. Gretzky did about as much off season training (a mixture of on ice and playing other sports) as anyone from that era.

I mean, you can't talk about speculation out of one side of your mouth and then speculate out of the other side. Like every other team during that era, Pittsburgh had fighters on their roster too.
But the "no touching Gretz" rule. Don't forget.

There was nobody more dominant, ever. Part of it was that he was naturally just huge and strong, but yet also fast, and skilled beyond even the imagination. Favorite, but also best.
His stride was so smooth it looked like he was being lazy then he blows by players. Truly gifted.

Mario was ridiculous. That first game back against the Leafs after retirement is burned into my memory. The fucker was past his prime, hadn't even played in 3 years and no one could touch him. And he played with Jagr and Francis. Just not fair.

Came back halfway through the season at 36 years old at the absolute height of the dead puck era after three-and-a-half years off. The previous season, no one cracked the 100-point mark and only one player (Pavel Bure) reached 50 goals.

Then he rattles off 35 goals & 76 points in 43 games. A 67-goal, 145-point pace.

Just absurd.

Back