• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother-fucking goddamn Off-season Thread

How many players are included in your list of "one of the best players in the league?" 50? 100? Mine is a heck of a lot shorter. Usually for me it means that they are ONE of the BEST players in the league and not the 54th or 87th best player in the league.
You are such a sensible beast of a man.

Wait, Tavares is an elite weapon on the PP. 4th in PP goals, and 2nd in ix PP goals since he came into the league. His skill set is scoring goals around the net and he's been one of the best in the league at that his entire career.

Behind Matthews/Ovie/Stamkos, he's arguably the greatest goal scorer of this era.

His limitations are defensively 5v5.

He's just overpaid. Still a hell of a player.
Yup he's an absolutely perfect fit in a complementary role on the PP and a huge asset for the Leafs there. He struggled to drive a PP in NY (19th ranked PP in the NHL in his stint there; he's no Giroux, for example) but that wasn't the role he excels at. It's no coincidence his PP production and PP nerdies have gone to the moon since he landed in Toronto.

How many players are included in your list of "one of the best players in the league?" 50? 100? Mine is a heck of a lot shorter. Usually for me it means that they are ONE of the BEST players in the league and not the 54th or 87th best player in the league.
I mean, I’m not ranking. I’m just saying, putting everything else to the side, can you flirt with 40 goals and not be one of the best players?

Anyone who hasn't been in conversation for a major award or All NHL for a few seasons isn't "one of the best players in the league" imo.

Different standards I guess.

Fwiw, Tavares last received any votes for MVP in 18/19 (finished 17th in voting) and I think that's probably a pretty accurate depiction of where he was at the time compared to the rest of the league. ~17th best player in the league that season is about right. 13th in 15/16 is again about right. 3rd the year before is again, about right. He was generally somewhere between 10th-20th in MVP voting for most of his NYI years with 3rd overall being the high water mark and I think that's fair.

I mean, I’m not ranking. I’m just saying, putting everything else to the side, can you flirt with 40 goals and not be one of the best players?
That's not how define it. For me it literally means one of the best, as in the best players in the NHL. Like you put a handful of guys in that group. McDavid, Matthews, Drai, Marner, Marchand, etc. Not some dude that's maybe the 43rd best player in the league.

I like that "guy who scores all the goals" is a complementary role on the PP.
I mean he's obviously not the driver. He barely even touches the puck on the PP. I call that complementary and I think he does a better job in that role than a Marner would, for example. But Marner is the driver because he is puck dominant (think Giroux, one of the best PP players in this generation), Tavares is the complementary guy. I get that you are taking that to be a negative but it really doesn't have to be a negative thing.

Anyone who hasn't been in conversation for a major award or All NHL for a few seasons isn't "one of the best players in the league" imo.

Different standards I guess.

Fwiw, Tavares last received any votes for MVP in 18/19 (finished 17th in voting) and I think that's probably a pretty accurate depiction of where he was at the time compared to the rest of the league. ~17th best player in the league that season is about right. 13th in 15/16 is again about right. 3rd the year before is again, about right. He was generally somewhere between 10th-20th in MVP voting for most of his NYI years with 3rd overall being the high water mark and I think that's fair.
His next contract will be for remarkably less than his current one. They will need the cap room for some guy in Edmonton.

That's not how define it. For me it literally means one of the best, as in the best players in the NHL. Like you put a handful of guys in that group. McDavid, Matthews, Drai, Marner, Marchand, etc. Not some dude that's maybe the 43rd best player in the league.
It’s not a discussion about who is THE best. But he is one of the best. Caps make all the difference here, as there is a difference.

QB isn't the only key role on a PP.

I mean Ovie also isn't the puck dominant driver on the PP.
I didn't say it wasn't a key role? In fact I even commented about how much he has helped the PP and made it so much better. You're hung up on the word complementary I think. I can't think of a better word to use unfortunately because it really does describe his role perfectly as his success is highly dependent on those surrounding him, as in he complements the talent around him perfectly. And he has obviously found his niche there picking up scraps and working in tight. I'm just saying on the Island he was expected to drive the PP and played a completely different role in many years (and in those years the teams PP was typically awful). When the Islanders had a guy that can truly drive a PP they did much better because JT was able to fall back into this niche role. But overall their PP was ranked 19th in his entire stint there. He has never been a Giroux on the PP. He has his role and had always been a rock solid, excellent 5 on 5 player.

TLDR: He has been very good in this role on the PP throughout his career (I won't call it complementary this time). And also playing with super elite players that can be more puck dominant on the PP has been a huge help as this is something he did not often have on the Island.

Last edited:
I'd say any player that would stand to be the best player at any position on one of 32 teams (remembering that as the league has expanded, it's become harder to hoard players) would be considered "one of the best". Tavares clearly qualifies as a goal-scorer and face-off wiz.

Teams at the bottom of the league maybe.

Not many good teams. Even just in our division, is he actually better than Stutzle or Larkin? If not, the only team he's 1C on in our division is Boston (with Zacha having out pointed him in ES last season, but I digress).

Over in the metro? Yeah, maybe half the clubs (Washington, Isles, Philly because Couturier died I guess)

the comparison with guys like Stutzle and Larkin is interesting, because I don't know that they are any better defensively

there's lots of offense-only Cs in the league.

You can be one of the best players in the league without being in the MVP discussion.
As I said, it's a difference in how we define things. I wouldn't call ~50 players in the NHL "one of the best." You obviously would. Case closed. I would only debate you if you felt he met my definition of one of the best, but you do not so I will accept it.

the comparison with guys like Stutzle and Larkin is interesting, because I don't know that they are any better defensively

there's lots of offense-only Cs in the league.
Being a really good defensive forward is a rarity in the league, I’d imagine. How many excellent high scoring guys are also really good at the other end of the ice?

As I said, it's a difference in how we define things. I wouldn't call ~50 players in the NHL "one of the best." You obviously would. Case closed. I would only debate you if you felt he met my definition of one of the best, but you do not so I will accept it.
Yeah, we’re not having the same discussion, which I think has been fairly obvious. All I’m saying to you is, I don’t think you can be a consistent 30-40 goal C and not be considered one of the best players in the league. I’m not asking whether he’s as good as McDavid, Matty, etc.

Back