• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother-fucking goddamn Off-season Thread

The thinking is wrong on many levels, explained many times previously. And the criticism is always in a vacuum.

If Tavares had signed for $8M and CLEARLY been an awesome $8M spend, WHAT WOULD WE HAVE DONE WITH THAT OTHER $3M? We can't know, but more importantly, we can assume that whatever $3M player (or spread the riches on two $1.5M players??) would not have been enough to get us over any hump. Nor would flipping Tavares out for some other nameless $8M player - AND WHO WOULD THAT HAVE BEEN? It's like it's so easy to acquire star players in this league.

The issue is a team issue that plagues us, and it starts at the top, where the "best" players named Matty and Marner stand. Tavares or any other $8M player plus imaginary $3M player wouldn't have made a difference in the best guys going cold at the worst times.

If we want to blame one of the best players in the league (that's right) that he couldn't get even better players than him to step up and be counted when games 6 and 7 rolled around, then have at it, but it's silly.

Overpaying Marner and Matthews on their second contracts didn't help either.

I guess, but both have performed like top 5/top 10 players in the league in line with those paycheques over the last 5 years.

And honestly, the JT contract kind of set their market for them. Kind of tough to sign JT for 11 and then tell Matthews (who was already better) that he was worth less to the team. Ditto with Mitch really...put Mitch on JT's wing and Mitchy out points him in their 1st year together, tough to tell Mitch that he's not worth top 10 money.

and if we just stack performance over the 5 years

Matthews: 337Gms, 225G, 410PTS (55G, 100pts)
Marner: 348gms, 127G, 424PTS (30G, 100pts)
Tavares: 360gms, 155G, 354PTS (35G, 81pts)

It's pretty clear that there's a significant step down in performance despite the similar paycheques.

I just finished up my first ever bout with Covid. Mild case, but sonofabitch, not fun at all.

Thought you'd be interested that I finally caved and had to see what all the fuss was about.

The thinking is wrong on many levels, explained many times previously. And the criticism is always in a vacuum.

If Tavares had signed for $8M and CLEARLY been an awesome $8M spend, WHAT WOULD WE HAVE DONE WITH THAT OTHER $3M? We can't know, but more importantly, we can assume that whatever $3M player (or spread the riches on two $1.5M players??) would not have been enough to get us over any hump. Nor would flipping Tavares out for some other nameless $8M player - AND WHO WOULD THAT HAVE BEEN? It's like it's so easy to acquire star players in this league.

The issue is a team issue that plagues us, and it starts at the top, where the "best" players named Matty and Marner stand. Tavares or any other $8M player plus imaginary $3M player wouldn't have made a difference in the best guys going cold at the worst times.

If we want to blame one of the best players in the league (that's right) that he couldn't get even better players than him to step up and be counted when games 6 and 7 rolled around, then have at it, but it's silly.

Such a weird analysis

It's not 8 million dollar player + 3 million dollar player.

It's 8 million dollar player + 3 million dollars in capspace. Which is like being able to replace Muzzin (at the time) with an 7.5-8 million dollar defender, or Brodie with an 8 million dollar defender, or Kerfoot with a 6.5 million dollar centre, etc, etc. You're already spending money on that roster spot, now you get to spend 3 million more on the roster spot of your choice for a much better player in that role.

So yes, if we could have brought an 8 million dollar 2C in to provide similar production to what Tavares has (but hopefully get more playoff production than a 58 point pace) and then spent the 3 million additional wisely on upgrading at positions of need, I don't see why it couldn't have been what put us over the hump. Because clearly signing Tavares (which was supposed to be that move) didn't do it. The idea that there's nothing else that possibly could have been done with that 11 million dollars that could have possibly be an improvement is dumb.

But I had the vaccine in 2021, and figure it's long gone out of my system, no?
I was mostly joking about the lame speech everyone gives/gave after getting covid that drives me wild. How the fuck would you know that the vaccine made it mild? What about the unvaxxed people that get it mild? What do they thank?

But nah, you had 0 protection from getting infected but theoretically the protection from severe disease (t-cells and whatnot) lasts a lifetime from the initial 1-2 doses and on avg ~1 infection per year for the rest of our lives gives you some short-term protection from reinfection.

I just finished up my first ever bout with Covid. Mild case, but sonofabitch, not fun at all.

Thought you'd be interested that I finally caved and had to see what all the fuss was about.
Wrong thread, this belongs in the Food thread.

Please provide your review of the current virus, and things you might do differently next time.

Wrong thread, this belongs in the Food thread.

Please provide your review of the current virus, and things you might do differently next time.
Well, I got it from a family member who I took to the doctor to get herself checked out. So I know where it came from, figured I'd be okay since I've been superman for like 5 years now with zero sniffles or anything, plus masks were worn. It somehow still got me.

I started out feeling kinda cold on Monday last week, Tuesday I had more chills and some congestion but I stayed home and kinda rested and nursed myself back to being better. Thought it was a 24 hour thing. Went to dinner that night with a friend, stayed out late, was still kinda fine. Wednesday, felt okay, just okay, but okay enough to think that I could play street hockey at night, which I did. I sweat my ass off and it was kinda cold out that night, and got home and showered, and suddenly felt some temperature, but always am kinda hot after the shower at night. I woke up in a cold sweat a few hours later, clothes and sheets drenched, never had anything like that before. Then it all got worse, and the same thing happened on Thursday and Friday night, but lessening each time. Washed the sheets four days in a row (my most hated chore). Saturday, I was kinda okay, but just this shitty congestion in the back of the nose, and had this really painful sensation anytime I swallowed, where it felt like knives cutting up my throat. Really bad. That kinda dissipated by Sunday, but skipped hockey that day because I wasn't feeling well (some nausea and weakness). I thought I'd be totally fucked on Monday (which was Yom Kippur), and yet fasted like a superstar for the full day, no water no nothing, and had dinner that night, but still feeling that shit at the back of the nose and throat. Yesterday, spent much of the day just blowing the nose and getting rid of congestion, and today is the first day where I'm feeling back to normal.

I was completely useless at work for this whole 10 day period or so. Fought through a couple of days, but otherwise had no energy or focus to do anything. Health, my friends, it's very fucking important.

Reactions: BG
Such a weird analysis

It's not 8 million dollar player + 3 million dollar player.

It's 8 million dollar player + 3 million dollars in capspace. Which is like being able to replace Muzzin (at the time) with an 7.5-8 million dollar defender, or Brodie with an 8 million dollar defender, or Kerfoot with a 6.5 million dollar centre, etc, etc. You're already spending money on that roster spot, now you get to spend 3 million more on the roster spot of your choice for a much better player in that role.

So yes, if we could have brought an 8 million dollar 2C in to provide similar production to what Tavares has (but hopefully get more playoff production than a 58 point pace) and then spent the 3 million additional wisely on upgrading at positions of need, I don't see why it couldn't have been what put us over the hump. Because clearly signing Tavares (which was supposed to be that move) didn't do it. The idea that there's nothing else that possibly could have been done with that 11 million dollars that could have possibly be an improvement is dumb.
All part of your fantasy. We could've dropped Muzz to the sidelines and replaced his whole salary at the deadline last year and they didn't even replace that $5M. How do you turn Kerfoot into a $6.5M center? Just by having the extra money doesn't mean there is someone good to spend it on. What did you trade to get that player, Knies? Why would you be trying to upgrade Brodie, and who is even an upgrade on Brodie?

If you remove Tavares, you'd need to add someone better than Tavares. Which UFA was available for that at $8M? And all that would've been done with the extra $3M is pissing it away on garbage filler like Gus and Laff, or at best, bringing in a Domi. Only in this fantasyland do you find some better player than Tavares at $8m, add some guy like Domi for $3M, and then win the Cup, or even just a second game against Florida.

I was mostly joking about the lame speech everyone gives/gave after getting covid that drives me wild. How the fuck would you know that the vaccine made it mild? What about the unvaxxed people that get it mild? What do they thank?

But nah, you had 0 protection from getting infected but theoretically the protection from severe disease (t-cells and whatnot) lasts a lifetime from the initial 1-2 doses and on avg ~1 infection per year for the rest of our lives gives you some short-term protection from reinfection.
Have you been doing the annual shot? I haven't, and kinda would prefer not to if this is all it is. Pesky fucking annoying bug.

Have you been doing the annual shot? I haven't, and kinda would prefer not to if this is all it is. Pesky fucking annoying bug.
I might this year since it's a decent match to the currently circulating strain (for now) and I haven't bit hit in 3 years. I could do for a top up. But generally if you got infected within the year there probably isn't much of a benefit because you'll eventually end up getting infected soon enough anyway so you're adding on some (small) risk by getting the vax too.

Your experience next time may be different tho. My first infection was nearly entirely asymptomatic pre vax. My brother, who is more of an athlete than me still hasn't recovered from his 2021 post vax infection. On avg your experience is about right tho. Have a friend who got it a few weeks ago and is still left with no taste or smell which sounds a lot like hell for me but could be worse I guess.

Back