• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Trade Deadline 2022

You can always come up with a seemingly rational argument for keeping any player but the counter-argument is always going to be "we don't need what they bring right now and by the time we will need it, this player will no longer be able to bring it."

Get rid of everyone at or near 30 years old and any late 20-something player with trade value. I want a near complete turnover of this roster. The sooner that happens, the sooner the rebuild can end. But the heavy lifting of a rebuild is the getting rid of players and then waiting for the players and picks you get in return to become something. Step One is getting rid of guys. Every vet you hang on to delays the rebuild. They are progress-stoppers. Impediments. Nothing more.
Lekhonen is 26

You can always come up with a seemingly rational argument for keeping any player but the counter-argument is always going to be "we don't need what they bring right now and by the time we will need it, this player will no longer be able to bring it."

Get rid of everyone at or near 30 years old and any late 20-something player with trade value. I want a near complete turnover of this roster. The sooner that happens, the sooner the rebuild can end. But the heavy lifting of a rebuild is the getting rid of players and then waiting for the players and picks you get in return to become something. Step One is getting rid of guys. Every vet you hang on to delays the rebuild. They are progress-stoppers. Impediments. Nothing more.

Bingo , every move you make needs to reflect your current to short term team status

Only exception is retaining young potential core pieces like Suzuki to 8 year deals to have signed to his entire prime years

If your a contender you do what you can to win a title and deal with the cap later

When your the Habs the window is shut and time to rebuild the base and it only starts with pain and draft picks

Lekhonen is 26

27 in the summer and is a nice third liner , not a 2 way star in the making

I would keep Dvorak and Anderson from the vet list

If the team was even half ass competitive with a better nucleus you could keep him

Team needs to take 2 steps back for 3 forward in maybe 3 years if moves are handled properly

Near worst D and top 6 in hockey , that doesnt get fixed overnight

If the team was even half ass competitive with a better nucleus you could keep him

Team needs to take 2 steps back for 3 forward in maybe 3 years if moves are handled properly

Lekhonen will turn 30-after completion of next 4-NHL seasons incl playoffs.

I would trade Dvorak, doesn’t fit Gorton / Hughes speed read & react game they seek - there’s also a fit to be had w Minny who are very weak at C. Talking heads have been consistent, Dvorak is still held in high regard by Western Conf teams

Greenway / Dvorak swap?

I would trade Dvorak, doesn’t fit Gorton / Hughes speed read & react game they seek - there’s also a fit to be had w Minny who are very weak at C. Talking heads have been consistent, Dvorak is still held in high regard by Western Conf teams

Greenway / Dvorak swap?
That's a no-brainer for us.

Greenway / Dvorak swap?

Everyone has a price ...at the right price

Its the big picture macro view for me

Players need to be slotted properly , and secondary players like Lek cant be overpaid for the Habs

Team has too many 3-4+ mil mistakes like Byron, Savard , etc...

Lek at 30 means nothing if the team stinks 3-4 years down the road and is rebuilding with an unkown future

Lek is perfect for a competitive team that has a brighter 3-4 years down the road and is complete with few needs

Lek, Chiarot, and others need to be jettisoned

Last edited:

The known price tag for Chiarot starts with a 1st round pick, and the belief is that Holland might be more inclined to move that pick if he has assurances that his club is going to be making the playoffs.

You can’t ice all rookies and you want veterans with little ego like Lehkonen. My 2 cents.

They wont ice all rookies , plus the UFA market has plenty of 1 year vets to work with the youth

Its a process over the next 3 years minimum as you phase out the vets

Vets are coming back in potential trades for 11,26,31 etc....

I love Lekky but trade him (and anyone else) if you can get 5 quarters for a dollar.

If our coaches love him, I’m sure others around the league feel the same way, especially this time of the year.

Last edited:

And 28 by the time he hits free agency.

They wont ice all rookies , plus the UFA market has plenty of 1 year vets to work with the youth

Its a process over the next 3 years minimum as you phase out the vets

Vets are coming back in potential trades for 11,26,31 etc....
Yup 1 year vets builds a culture.

Back