• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Trade Deadline 2022

There's more than one way to skin a cat, but when you look at teams that are perennial contenders, virtually all of them got their franchise forward(s) in the draft lottery. You have the odd example like Point & Kucherov that were taken later, but those are the exceptions & not the rule. That's why when a player like Jack Eichel is available once every decade or so, you give up whatever the asking price is and you live with it.

When it came time to evaluate players at the pro level, The Charlatan & his crew were among the best in the league. They rarely lost trades. They didn't make too many bad UFA signings either.

The problem with The Charlatan is, he always talked about never giving up the future to win now, and yet I can't recall ever seeing someone so blatantly give less of a fuck about the future. His biggest two mistakes were right at the beginning: Keeping Trevor Timmins and hiring his buddy Sylvain Lefebvre to coach our AHL team (and then keeping him there for six fucking years).

Had this team been just an average drafting & developing franchise, we wouldn't be in such shitty shape and he'd probably still be employed.
One of MB's problem as a GM is that he was too loyal, both to his staff and his players. It's a great human quality but it blurs optics as an executive.

Another thing: If you're a good drafting team, you can aggressively trade prospects away for players in their prime. That's what they did for Stone, Pacioretty & Eichel.

Who's better, Brannstrom Suzuki & Krebs, or Stone Pacioretty & Eichel?

In that year when we got to the Eastern Finals & lost because of Price's injury, maybe we would have been able to overcome it if we had traded our 1st or one of our top prospects for a rental or even a player with term left.

But alas...
I'm with you, I think the market overvalue picks and prospects and that it should be exploited by shrewd GMs.

Houston isnt turning Gally and Savard into Kucherov and Hedman

WTF is a new location going to do when your roster is AHL caliber littered with terrible contracts and 2 years away from being 2 years away
I think the idea is that in Houston nobody cares that you're the glorious Habs so if you don't win you won't sell tickets there. That reality might force the team to get serious about rebuilding rather than chasing after the short-term money all the time. Being in Montreal where the tickets sell themselves is an excuse for ownership and management to be lazy.

I'm with you, I think the market overvalue picks and prospects and that it should be exploited by shrewd GMs.

It works if your in the contending window rather than waiting 2-4 years if a pick develops

Too often picks and kids and tossed out like nothing for middling teams desperate to make a move or to save a job

It works if your in the contending window rather than waiting 2-4 years if a pick develops

Too often picks and kids and tossed out like nothing for middling teams desperate to make a move or to save a job

I'm not talking about short term fixes but if you can get a guy that will be a valuable asset to your team for 4-5 years, then you do it, smartly. Sometimes it will backfire as the assets you traded will blossom but other times it will be a clear win as those assets won't pan out. The key is to find players that will retain their value for at least 2 years after the trade, then you can always swap them again and preserve your asset capital.

Picks and prospects are some of the fastest depreciating asset in the business. Some picks have a steep drop in value the moment that pick is made.

I'm not surprised at all, and you could see it coming.

Now, if only The Charlatan didn't over-react & trade for Dvorak. Dvorak's a fine player, but he is what he is: A third line center that doesn't have any impact on the game.

Now, if only The Charlatan didn't over-react & trade for Dvorak. Dvorak's a fine player, but he is what he is: A third line center that doesn't have any impact on the game.
I'll wait a bit to see Dvorak under St.Louis before finalizing my judgment on him.

Yup total over reactive move by the knob

He's really letting them trust their instincts. It's... Weird. He's not a coach mentality guy. Pure creativity guy. It's kind of refreshing to score goals.

He's really letting them trust their instincts. It's... Weird. He's not a coach mentality guy. Pure creativity guy. It's kind of refreshing to score goals.
Most importantly he has the players “believing” they can come back from a deficit - it’s always been about scoring first and protecting the lead during my lifetime as a Hab fan

Most importantly he has the players “believing” they can come back from a deficit - it’s always been about scoring first and protecting the lead during my lifetime as a Hab fan
Yep, score a goal, rely on your goalie to spit nickels, trap, cycle, trap, and try to bore your opponents (and the fans) into submission. That's pretty much been the formula since the Vigneault era.

Yep, score a goal, rely on your goalie to spit nickels, trap, cycle, trap, and try to bore your opponents (and the fans) into submission. That's pretty much been the formula since the Vigneault era.
Was no different from what I recall from the minute Lemaire came in for 83-84 season w butterfly Penney

Was no different from what I recall from the minute Lemaire came in for 83-84 season w butterfly Penney
Pat Burns had a more exciting team to watch than anything Lemaire had. As tough as Burns' team was, the defining moment for that 89 team was the Kordic for Courtnall trade. A plodding goon traded away for a talented scorer with speed.

Pat Burns had a more exciting team to watch than anything Lemaire had. As tough as Burns' team was, the defining moment for that 89 team was the Kordic for Courtnall trade. A plodding goon traded away for a talented scorer with speed.
And the last significant trade between us and them. I think John Brophy was coaching the Leafs then and he was a poster-boy for goon hockey.

Back