• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2020 Offseason Miscellaneous Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Trochek trade looks worse and worse for the Panthers by the minute...Huala and Wally both likely walking away for nothing and all you have left are a pair of prospects in Priskie and Luostarenen who are certainly far from the top of the Kitty Cats prospect pile.
Priskie not really panning out is the big deal there, I think. If he grows into a full time RD who can run your 2nd PP unit, then that trade is fine. It looks like that's not happening, so ... yeah. Dale Tallon got fired for a reason.

The Trochek trade looks worse and worse for the Panthers by the minute...Huala and Wally both likely walking away for nothing and all you have left are a pair of prospects in Priskie and Luostarenen who are certainly far from the top of the Kitty Cats prospect pile.
They did succeed in fully getting rid of the rest of Trochek's $4.75 million cap hit and $9.75 million in actual salary paid ($3.5 million this coming season, then $6.25 million next season). With the way Trochek's counting stats have trended the last 2 seasons along with the injuries, I suspect Florida is relieved to be out from under the rest of that contract. That in itself has value.

UFA goalies as of tomorrow

Corey Schneider
Henrik Lundqvist
Braden Holtby
Corey Crawford
Anton Khudobin
Jacob Markstrom
Thomas Greiss
Cam Talbot
Jimmy Howard

If Braden Holtby will take a 1 year $1 million make good contract I wouldn't mind rolling him out there for half of our starts if we are not going to go bigger with Kuemper or some other trade. I know his Sv% has stunk for the last 3 seasons, but I'm not quite convinced he is 100% cooked. We rolled out .905 Mrazek for 40 games last season.

I'd stay away from Holtby, whispers of knee problems that have slowed his lateral movement and his numbers dropping seems to support something to this effect.

The Canes are not going to pay Markstrom the money required to lure him to Raleigh. I wouldn't hate Greiss as the Canes backup, but he just went for 2.74 .913 for a team that basically plays nothing but defense. Reimer was 2.66 .914 for the Canes.

Greiss will probably get paid at least $2-3 million. For just the remaining $850k on his contract the Canes could just stick with Reimer for this season and probably get the same results.

I think the goal here for the Canes is to get someone who can push Mrazek down to 30 starts. Griess I think just directly replaces Reimer and is not someone who could legit become the Canes #1.

None of those UFA goalies are #1 guys anymore due to varying factors like age, injuries etc.

If you're looking for a goalie on the cheap and one that will be backup only? I'd go Crawford if he passes the physical. He's got the most experience in the playoffs.

Markstrom is the guy that would push Mrazek though.

None of those UFA goalies are #1 guys anymore due to varying factors like age, injuries etc.

If you're looking for a goalie on the cheap and one that will be backup only? I'd go Crawford if he passes the physical. He's got the most experience in the playoffs.

Markstrom is the guy that would push Mrazek though.
Remember, Carolina is convinced that the 1A/1B system is the way to go, and Mrazek has been pretty good in that system for the most part. In the most likely scenario that Carolina ends up trading away Reimer and keeping Mrazek, they're looking for a guy to compliment him, not so much somebody to upstage him ... barring a completely different kind of deal for a real No 1, that I consider unlikely.

So yeah ... Markstrom is probably looking for a proper starting job, and I'm not a fan. Griess is a veteran platoon guy but is only a minor upgrade over Reimer. I personally think the rest of that list is pretty much cooked (including Holtby, who could make some GM look like a complete idiot), but Crawford is intriguing. He's had injury problems, but is "only" 31 and was pretty good this last year considering the dreck on D in front of him. If he passes a physical, I think it's worth it to kick the tires and see if he's cool to share a crease and sign up for a "show-me" deal. If healthy, Crawford with a lightened workload could be a short term answer here. If not, then you're probably no worse off than the current situation where you're paying $6.5 million for slightly above replacement level goaltending.

The Adventures of Former Canes Legend Cliff Pu continue...

Florida just traded him to Columbus for defenseman Markus Nutivaara.

Pu can tell his kids he was traded multiple times for legit NHL players. That is kind of cool for him.

In both the Skinner and now Nutivaara trades he was the only player going the other way. His kids don't need to know about the draft picks included in the Skinner deal.

Last edited:
Ducks send dman Erik Gudbranson to the Sens for a 2021 5th rounder. He was the 3rd overall pick in the 2010 draft. Remember how he and AEK lad were going to form the core of Florida’s defense for years? They only played 2 years together before he was traded to Vancouver for the immortal Jared McCann and 2 picks.

Your typos are becoming legendary, Andy! :)

I assume this is supposed to read "Aaron Ekblad."

I need to replace my freaking iPad. It inserts random caps and tries (badly) to correct typos, or words, like Ekblad, it perceives to be a typo.

UFA goalies as of tomorrow

Corey Schneider
Henrik Lundqvist
Braden Holtby
Corey Crawford
Anton Khudobin
Jacob Markstrom
Thomas Greiss
Cam Talbot
Jimmy Howard
I’m not calling that group a wish list by any means and frankly none of those guys seem to be much of a fit here either because of age, cost or just not any better than what the Canes currently have! I know if Waddell was willing to still go the trade route the wish list would be Kuemper, followed by Korpisalo and then Andersen. All three of those guys have been mentioned in varying degrees as being available via trade.

Anderson is ridiculously overrated. He's 2-freaking-6 and his best NHL showing was upper 20s in goals and around a half a point a game. I mean, I get that he's a big boy but there's got to be something other than that. Add in major shoulder surgery and I really don't get that THIS is the return Montreal gets from Domi. I mean, who knows? Maybe the big fella spends his time off getting into stupid good shape and actually has the career year everyone seems to assume that he's already had and Montreal comes out ahead on this deal. I have my doubts.

Habs sign Josh Anderson 7 years/$38.5 million, $5.5 million AAV. It’s all salary, no bonus. He gets $4 million in the first 2 years, then $7M, $8M, $7M, $5M, $3.5M. He has a 8 team NTC in years 2-4, a 5 team NTC in years 5-7.

Jackets trade dman Ryan Murray to the Devils for a 2021 5th round pick. Murray is going into the last year of a contract with a $4.6 million AAV. He was the 2nd pick in the 2012 draft.

Between this, the earlier trade of Nutivaara and buying out Wennberg, they’ve shed close to $12 million in cap,space. When Dubinsky goes on LTIR, that takes them up close to $18 million. Keep your eyes on them tomorrow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back