• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

FWIW ... huge stretch of games for the Hurricanes coming up. They get Dallas, Pittsburgh twice and New Jersey before easing up with the Flyers on the 23rd. That's two against the team that's one slot behind them in the Metro, one against the Metro leader and one against the Central leader. Carolina's playing well, but still struggling to convert goals ... this would be a REALLY good time for a forward other than Svech or Necas to get hot.

Malkin took a shot off his knee last night and left the game. No word on whether it’s a long term thing. But they won their 7th straight last night. They don’t play again until coming here on Sunday, so they’ll be rested while the Canes are on the back half of a compressed back to back with a 5:00 start on Sunday.

Well, I was wrong about practice participation, it was everyone but Aho, Martinook and Koochie. Kase and Patches in yellow.

Edit: Svech isn’t skating either

Last edited:
After practice, RBA said that neither Aho or Andersen would dress this weekend. I could see Raanta starting tomorrow in a cross conference game and Koochie on Sunday.

After practice, RBA said that neither Aho or Andersen would dress this weekend. I could see Raanta starting tomorrow in a cross conference game and Koochie on Sunday.
Yeah, you'd think. Raanta hasn't gone in a while now and needs to get back out there. Dallas (weirdly) is the better offensive team, but the Pens game means more in the big picture.

Along with the Coghlan recall, the Canes sent Drury to Chicago. I don’t understand that one, unless Aho is ready to play tomorrow. But he hasn’t been in a full practice so I doubt that’s the case. The roster freeze is midnight tonight so they wouldn’t have been able to send Drury back down until 12/28. But if Aho (or Kase) can’t play tomorrow, they'd be playing the Devils with 11 forwards. If they recall Drury tomorrow, they didn’t accomplish anything besides saving 1 day salary. And then he still couldn’t be sent back until 12/28 anyway.

That is strange.

There is no cap advantage gained by squeezing Drury for a single day of cap hit and salary. The actual cash saved by the Canes organization per day by not having Drury on the NHL roster is around $4,122 a day.

In other words, the Canes didn't send Drury down for one day worth of salary savings. He also has no entry level bonuses to worry about.

I don't know why the Canes would willingly plan on going 11/7 tomorrow night versus the Devils. That is kind of nutty. We can callup anyone we want tomorrow, but who at Chicago really has earned a callup?

Malte Stromwall (20 games 4 Goals 10 Assists -3) (Min guarentee $175k, he has a $150k minor league salary)
Ryan Suzuki (3 Games 2 Goals 1 Assist +2)
Noel Gunler (13 Games 3 Goals 3 Assists -6)
Jamieson Rees (23 Games 5 Goals 15 Assists -7 55 PIMs)
Alex Pashin (20 Games 2 Goals 3 Assists -10)
Vasily Ponomarev (20 Games 7 Goals 5 Assists -13)
Stelio Mattheos (11 Games 2 Goals 2 Assists -8) (min guarentee $85k, he has a $70k minor league salary)

Dzingle and McEachern (supposed to be our NHL vet depth at Chicago) are both hurt.

Assuming neither Aho or Kase are ready to return, and there is no reason to think they are playing tomorrow night, if you are thinking the Canes are calling up someone else before the game tomorrow, looking at the above list, the top candidates are Stromwall, Suzuki, Rees or Ponomarev. I don't see any reason to expect Suzuki or Ponomarev. I COULD envision Rees or Stromwall:

Svech-Stastny-Necas
Turbo-KK-Jarvis
Martinook-Staal-Fast
Noesen-Stepan-Rees/Stomwall

Rees would raise up the grit level on any line he might end up on.

I wouldn't mind seeing Rees on that 4th line over Drury for a bit. But if the Canes are just going 11/7 tomorrow, well, that is pretty darn dumb to me. I understand wanting Drury to get some confidence back on offense, but the NHL roster needs are more important.

Last edited:
That is strange.

There is no cap advantage gained by squeezing Drury for a single day of cap hit and salary. The actual cash saved by the Canes organization per day by not having Drury on the NHL roster is around $4,122 a day.

In other words, the Canes didn't send Drury down for one day worth of salary savings. He also has no entry level bonuses to worry about.

I don't know why the Canes would willingly plan on going 11/7 tomorrow night versus the Devils. That is kind of nutty. We can callup anyone we want tomorrow, but who at Chicago really has earned a callup?

Malte Stromwall (20 games 4 Goals 10 Assists -3) (Min guarentee $175k, he has a $150k minor league salary)
Ryan Suzuki (3 Games 2 Goals 1 Assist +2)
Noel Gunler (13 Games 3 Goals 3 Assists -6)
Jamieson Rees (23 Games 5 Goals 15 Assists -7 55 PIMs)
Alex Pashin (20 Games 2 Goals 3 Assists -10)
Vasily Ponomarev (20 Games 7 Goals 5 Assists -13)
Stelio Mattheos (11 Games 2 Goals 2 Assists -8) (min guarentee $85k, he has a $70k minor league salary)

Dzingle and McEachern (supposed to be our NHL vet depth at Chicago) are both hurt.

Assuming neither Aho or Kase are ready to return, and there is no reason to think they are playing tomorrow night, if you are thinking the Canes are calling up someone else before the game tomorrow, looking at the above list, the top candidates are Stromwall, Suzuki, Rees or Ponomarev. I don't see any reason to expect Suzuki or Ponomarev. I COULD envision Rees or Stromwall:

Svech-Stastny-Necas
Turbo-KK-Jarvis
Martinook-Staal-Fast
Noesen-Stepan-Rees/Stomwall

Rees would raise up the grit level on any line he might end up on.

I wouldn't mind seeing Rees on that 4th line over Drury for a bit. But if the Canes are just going 11/7 tomorrow, well, that is pretty darn dumb to me. I understand wanting Drury to get some confidence back on offense, but the NHL roster needs are more important.
None of it makes sense. Anyone they recall after midnight is on the roster until 12/28. What’s the worst that could have happened if they left Drury here and Aho was ready? 13 forwards? Ooh, surplus! If they wanted to keep Drury in the lineup, Stastny or Stepan could have been scratched.

Are there different rules for emergency recalls? If so, I can see a scenario where Drury is an emergency recall tomorrow who can be sent down when Aho is healthy, regardless of the freeze.

None of it makes sense. Anyone they recall after midnight is on the roster until 12/28. What’s the worst that could have happened if they left Drury here and Aho was ready? 13 forwards? Ooh, surplus! If they wanted to keep Drury in the lineup, Stastny or Stepan could have been scratched.

Are there different rules for emergency recalls? If so, I can see a scenario where Drury is an emergency recall tomorrow who can be sent down when Aho is healthy, regardless of the freeze.
So the freeze in the CBA comes after 11:59PM on December 19th and lifts on December 28th

It's not absolute that no one can be sent back to the minors during the freeze (see below)

CBA 16.5.d.ii:

Notwithstanding Section 16.5(d)(i), a Player on emergency Recall may be
Loaned during the roster freeze period and a Player who was Recalled
after December 11 may be Loaned through 11:59 p.m. local time on
December 23, provided such Player is not required to be placed on
Waivers during the roster freeze period in order to effectuate such Loan.

So that might be it andyt.

If they didn't alter this in the MOA, then the way I read this is that you can make emergency recalls and return that emergency recall to the minors during the Holiday roster freeze. You could also send a player who was called up after December 11th (any type of callup) back to the minors up to December 23th.

This seems to indicate the Canes could recall Drury tomorrow as an emergency recall for Aho which would allow them to send Drury back to Chicago at any point in time during the roster freeze if they wanted to if Aho can play.

The advantage there I suppose for the Canes is that if Aho can play Friday, they could send Drury down to Chicago after tomorrow night's game so he could play in the Wed, Thr, Fri games Chicago has on the schedule this week. If they didn't make Drury an emergency recall, he would be stuck with the Canes until Dec 28th, potentially missing an opportunity to play some games for Chicago this week.

Smart roster management maybe?

Last edited:
I would assume the only reason you'd send Drury back down is to give Rees a bit of a run. He's apparently been playing really well in Chicago, and as mentioned ... he plays a natural 4th line game. He's an agent of pure chaos. Drury's been pretty good territorially, but has looked a bit shy to make a play or take a risk to me lately. That said, it's probably some paper transaction for an obscure benefit that I just don't see. Who knows?

Nothing on the AHL transactions wire yet, so I can't believe that Rees is coming to Raleigh unless they are just waiting to make it official as late as possible. Just a weird one that clearly makes sense to DW somehow.

Personally, I would like to see Rees at the NHL level for a few games for a hard look at what his game looks like at the NHL level. Like JB mentioned, he's a chaos/disturber type and the Canes could use that grit on a fourth line to mix things up!

Personally, I would like to see Rees at the NHL level for a few games for a hard look at what his game looks like at the NHL level. Like JB mentioned, he's a chaos/disturber type and the Canes could use that grit on a fourth line to mix things up!
Me too, except I'd more see it as a reward for his work in Chicago. I think the 4th line has been quite good since they settled on the current configuration. It's lower key than some, but they dominate possession most of the time.

Attention! The Hurricanes are currently sitting on 50 points at the 40% post in the season. Also, points wise, our beloved sightless eye is in second place in the entire NHL, behind only the Booins.

Aside to the hockey gods: I'm just sayin'.

Attention! The Hurricanes are currently sitting on 50 points at the 40% post in the season. Also, points wise, our beloved sightless eye is in second place in the entire NHL, behind only the Booins.

Aside to the hockey gods: I'm just sayin'.
Until we fix special teams, I won’t view it as sustainable.

Until we fix special teams, I won’t view it as sustainable.
Yeah, I dunno. Normally, you'd consider point production unsustainable when a team is going nuts on the PDO stuff (shooting percentage and save percentage), yet the Canes are sitting 2nd in the NHL without much of a bump from any of that stuff. I just checked and they're 18th in the league in PDO, whereas they had been sitting in the mid-20s. That's a bit of a boost, but not that much and it's almost all down to Kochetkov getting more time in the crease than the two vets who frankly haven't been very good. The other normal indicator of shaky foundational results would be a team that's just killing it on the power play, and that obviously ain't happening.

Now, if you mean sustainable in that it won't hold up in the playoffs, then yeah. That's fair. That said, you have to get there first and banking points now helps on that front no matter how you look doing it.

Last edited:
It's great to be in this position standings-wise when we aren't playing our best. I'm hoping a slower early burn will result in a stronger finish, as compared to the last 2 years. And because for the first time ever, my wife and I have signed up for an extended vacation in June (in Europe), I can virtually guarantee the Canes will return for the Cup finals. You're welcome.

Back