• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

It's great to be in this position standings-wise when we aren't playing our best. I'm hoping a slower early burn will result in a stronger finish, as compared to the last 2 years. And because for the first time ever, my wife and I have signed up for an extended vacation in June (in Europe), I can virtually guarantee the Canes will return for the Cup finals. You're welcome.
Yup. I'm also in the books for some travel right as the playoffs start, and that usually means good things for the team. We're doing our part.

Had an interesting Canes-related travel experience today. We’re on our way at back from Massachusetts. Stopped in a Dunkin Donuts in Millis. I was wearing a quarter zip with the Canes logo. The manager spots my shirt and says “I love it”. And I’m thinking that I’ve gone through the looking glass in the Boston suburbs. But no. She says her cousin won the Cup in 2006. He brought it to the nearby Norton Country Club and she drank out of the Cup. Her cousin? Peter Laviolette. He grew up a few miles from where we were.

Canes fans what is going on with Freddy , is your going back soon
Your guess is as good as ours. The Canes have always been tight-lipped about injuries, treating them as state secrets. He’s been skating with the group instead of by himself, but all we’ve heard is he’s still a ways away.

Freddie and Patches were full participants at practice again today, Kase in a non-contact jersey. I still think Patches goes to Chicago for a couple of games to get up to game speed.

At practice this morning, Patches is in a top 6 jersey, KK is in a bottom 6 jersey and Stastny isn’t skating, hopefully just maintenance. Kase is in a non-contact jersey. Per Ryan Henkel of CanesCountry the lines look like this:

Teravainen-Aho-Jarvis
Svechnikov-Necas-Pacioretty
Martinook-Staal-Fast
Stepan-Kotkaniemi-Noesen

FWIW, I'm thinking this sets up for Pacioretty to eventually play on Aho's line with Turbo. He's another guy that doesn't really need the puck on his stick that much, like Stastny. That has played well with Stas on a line with Necas and Svech, allowing those guys to dominate puck carrying and possession while he worries more about distribution and providing screens. Putting Patches with Aho and Turbo allows Turbo to worry less about shooting (which is always his inclination anyway) and frees him up to distribute. Aho causes chaos, Pacioretty cleans it up. Eventually that 4th line probably has Kotkaniemi centering Jarvis and Noesen (or Kase) which is one heck of a dangerous and annoying to play against 4th line. The group up front is fixin' to get seriously deep.

RBA said after practice that Patches won’t make his debut tomorrow night but it’s possible we’ll see him within the next 10 games.

Forgive my ignorance in these matters, but could the team send him down to Chicago for a conditioning stint or would he have to clear waivers first?

Pacioretty can be sent to Chicago for a conditioning stint without waivers. However, he has to be added to the active roster first, which means the Canes will need to have the cap room to add his $7 million (aka we cannot be using his LTIR space at that point in time). With Drury returned to Chicago yesterday, the Canes are now positioned accordingly.

Once Pacioretty is playing, the Canes will have an extra healthy forward and dman (hopefully). If the Canes need a callup after that point for some reason, we will either need to LTIR Kase to make that room available OR we would have to have a true roster emergency (ie we only have 11 healthy forwards or 5 healthy Dmen). Those roster emergencies allow you to go 'over the cap' by calling up a player who is on a minimal NHL salary (it used to be $800k) to fill the roster shortage until the emergency is over.

As for the lineups when Pacioretty returns, this is the moment we have been waiting for and discussing a few times. Show me another NHL team that has 4 lines that are as dangerous as what we hopefully will be icing. Yes, you are going to find several teams with top end talent that is better than ours at the forward position, but very few (none?) will be as deep as our forward group. We should have advantages all over the place.

Last edited:
As for the lineups when Pacioretty returns, this is the moment we have been waiting for and discussing a few times. Show me another NHL team that has 4 lines that are as dangerous as what we hopefully will be icing. Yes, you are going to find several teams with top end talent that is better than ours at the forward position, but very few (none?) will be as deep as our forward group. We should have advantages all over the place.
We should be tough to match up with. 2 pairs and 2 sets of forwards we’re happy to match up with their ones however they want.

And they'll score against anyone's lesser lines. 19 points in the last 5 games from that line? I think I saw that stat yesterday

And they'll score against anyone's lesser lines. 19 points in the last 5 games from that line? I think I saw that stat yesterday
Yep, Staal has 8 points, Fast has 6, Martinook has 5. They’re also +19 in the last 5, Martinook is the only one of them who had a minus game in that stretch.

Yep, Staal has 8 points, Fast has 6, Martinook has 5. They’re also +19 in the last 5, Martinook is the only one of them who had a minus game in that stretch.
To be fair, Staal almost always has a month like this at some point in the season. The offensive production rarely lasts. Kind of like Brady Skjei's annual 4 game hot streak.

Chalk this up to a winning streak, but the Canes social media and marketing teams have been on a tear since Dundon bought the team, beefed up the staff and unleashed the hounds.

Back