• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

KK haters have quieted down a bit.

Since the calendar flipped to 2023, KK's numbers look like this:

41 Games 10 Goals 17 Assists +13

A 50+ point center with +Faceoff stats, some willingness to play physical with attention to all 3 zones? That is basically Vincent Trocheck but much younger with potentially more upside.

A 50+ point center with +Faceoff stats, some willingness to play physical with attention to all 3 zones? That is basically Vincent Trocheck but much younger with potentially more upside.
They're just biding their time. If he has another quiet playoff run they'll be back with the taunts and insulting nicknames.

I’m a little surprised that RBA and Gleason haven’t thrown him out on the PK. He’s only played a total of 11:24 on the PK this year, Jarvis has almost caught him and he didn’t start playing on the PK until he was finishing his hat trick. Trocheck was 3rd among forwards in PK time last season

No huge complaints although I would have loved to have seen Sami Kapanen on the list. As it stands, only Wesley and O'Neil are repesented from the team that made the move from Hartford. I guess that's fine but I would swap Teravainen out with Kapanen. NOBODY is arguing about the goalies or 11 of the 12 forwards, I wouldn't think. And the D is what it is.

Last edited:
I have one extra seat for games 1 and 2 that I would be happy to sell to anyone here for exactly what I paid for them. PM me if you're interested.

No huge complaints although I would have loved to have seen Sami Kapanen on the list. As it stands, only Wesley and O'Neil are repesented from the team that made the move from Hartford. I guess that's fine but I would swap Teravainen out with Kapanen. NOBODY is arguing about the goalies or 11 of the 12 forwards, I wouldn't think. And the D is what it is.
Kap over Turbo to me is spot on from that list! For a few years there Sami was one of the only Canes to stand out across the league for his speed and skating ability and I know he made a couple of All-Star teams in the process representing the org and was a two time fastest skater league wide.

Ya, I'm throwing Whitney into that mix on the forward bubble.... there's room for 2 - Kapanen, Turbo, and Whitney. Sami was always one of my faves, so I'd lean that way too and have to pick between the other 2 for the 12th spot.

Last edited:

Dammit, my first KK thought was Kevin Keatts, and I thought "hell no, we haven't!"

only Wesley and O'Neil are repesented from the team that made the move from Hartford.
Did Sean Hill come from Hartford? He was my favorite early years defensemen. But I guess if I am being honest, he is no more than a healthy extra on the 25th anniversary team. And he might be behind A Ward.

Did Sean Hill come from Hartford? He was my favorite early years defensemen. But I guess if I am being honest, he is no more than a healthy extra on the 25th anniversary team. And he might be behind A Ward.
IIRC, Hill was part of a trade that sent Kevin Haller and Stu Grimson to the Ducks, so it was after the first season in Raleigh.

IIRC, Hill was part of a trade that sent Kevin Haller and Stu Grimson to the Ducks, so it was after the first season in Raleigh.
No. We got him from Ottawa for Chris Murray in November 1997. He signed with the Blues in July 2000 and we got him back for Captain Toast and 2002 4th round pick in December 2001. He signed with the Panthers as a UFA in 2004.

That's right... Karpa was the return from the Haller trade.

I think I had Hill coming from the Ducks because he had some history there as well.

Last edited:
The Canes and Capitol Broadcasting signed a 3 year extension for 99.9 The Fan to be the flagship station of the Hurricanes Radio Network. The team’s website lists stations in Charlotte, New Bern and Greenville as other stations in the network.

That's right... Karpa was the return from the Haller trade.

I think I had Hill coming from the Ducks because he had some history there as well.
Yep, the Sens got Hill from the Ducks, who had gotten him from the Habs in the 1993 expansion draft.

Hill was one of the guys that Rutherford brought in for the 97-98 in an effort to get more physical. If you'll recall, that team spend the first half of the season mostly killing penalties because he went WAY over the mark on that score. That team had an insane total team PIM of over 1400, which is bonkers even corrected for era. Guys like Haller and Ciccone didn't last and Grimson moved on soon enough, but Jimmy got it right with Hill, Curtis Leschyshyn and Gary Roberts. They were a big part of the backbone of a much tougher, more effective group the following year.

Back