• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

The Canes released end of season award winners.

The players named Brent Burns as the recipient of the Steve Chiasson Award, given to the player that best exemplifies determination and dedication while proving to be an inspiration to his teammates through his performance and approach to the game.

They also announced the results of voting by the Carolinas Chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers’ Association. They had previously announced Jordan Martinook as the nominee for the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy. They also selected Antti Raanta as the recipient of the Josef Vasicek Award, for outstanding cooperation with the local media. The PWHW also named Sebastian Aho as the team’s MVP. It’s the 5th time he’s won the award.

Any thoughts on this list? I could take slight exceptions with a few--move some up a couple, others down a couple, but the trade for RBA at 22 just baffles me. That trade set the tone for everything the franchise has accomplished for the last 20+ years. He is easily the most important person (player/ front office) in franchise history.

Any thoughts on this list? I could take slight exceptions with a few--move some up a couple, others down a couple, but the trade for RBA at 22 just baffles me. That trade set the tone for everything the franchise has accomplished for the last 20+ years. He is easily the most important person (player/ front office) in franchise history.

To this day I still prefer Chuck Kaiton's call of Gelinas' OT goal to "Strange but True," but that's the game footage they kept.

The ovation at the end of game 6 of the 2001 playoffs. The looks on the players’ faces after that game was something to see. As important as the trade for Brind’Amour was, he signed a below market contract that summer to stay, certainly lower than what Primeau was looking for. And I’m convinced the ovation at the end of game 6 had a lot to do with it.

The ovation at the end of game 6 of the 2001 playoffs. The looks on the players’ faces after that game was something to see. As important as the trade for Brind’Amour was, he signed a below market contract that summer to stay, certainly lower than what Primeau was looking for. And I’m convinced the ovation at the end of game 6 had a lot to do with it.
Absolutely that is top 10 material. Other things I’d consider: the first Storm Surge, and winning the Svechnikov lottery.

I love seeing all those great moments down memory lane...we need a Top 10 List of the Weird and Wacky Canes memorable moments to counter this!

I'm thinking Stormy almost dying while getting trapped in the zamboni in Greensboro...Chopper Harrison planting himself on the roof of the PNC for days...there must be so many more!

OVER HERE! OVER HERE! OVER HERE! Chopper was obnoxious, but there is no denying that he helped build the culture here in Raleigh. I don't remember anyone other than him in local media talking up the Hurricanes in the early days. Has the organization ever done anything in his memory? I doubt it, but I think it would nice to have a corner in the concourse devoted to his memory. But then again, if we're going to memorialize non-player culture builders, we'll need to recognize Chuck and the letter K and Johnny sideburns.

OVER HERE! OVER HERE! OVER HERE! Chopper was obnoxious, but there is no denying that he helped build the culture here in Raleigh. I don't remember anyone other than him in local media talking up the Hurricanes in the early days. Has the organization ever done anything in his memory? I doubt it, but I think it would nice to have a corner in the concourse devoted to his memory. But then again, if we're going to memorialize non-player culture builders, we'll need to recognize Chuck and the letter K and Johnny sideburns.

With the exception of a few players (I’m sure most of you can guess which), Chopper was not as well liked in the organization as people think. He was a necessary evil at the time. Free press for an organization that was trying to gain a foothold locally.

No disrespect, I appreciate that Chopper was banging the drum for the Canes in his day job, but since I didn't even know what radio station he worked for or listen to it, to me he was just the annoying intermission screamer (now being played by CAAAAAANES FAAAAANSSSSS!)

No disrespect, I appreciate that Chopper was banging the drum for the Canes in his day job, but since I didn't even know what radio station he worked for or listen to it, to me he was just the annoying intermission screamer (now being played by CAAAAAANES FAAAAANSSSSS!)
He sat a few rows behind us in 117. I listened to him on the radio but didn’t put 2 and 2 together until he showed up on the ice. But he did get a visit from Forslund one night, delivering his tickets.

He may have been obnoxious, and it sounds like the players didn't like him much, but again, he was the only media person outside of the organization that was talking about the team. So what if he wasn't that popular with the players? He helped build a fan culture around here and not many other people can make that claim.

Kinda surprised Franticek Kaberle never gets mentioned for scoring the Cup winning goal for the Hurricanes in game 7 against Edmonton. Aaron Ward and Justin Williams always seem to get credit for their goals, Cam Ward's save of Fernando Pisani's shot does too, but Kaberle is an afterthought. I'd be willing to bet most Hurricanes fans couldn't tell you who scored the Cup winner.

Jim

Eric Cole when he was supposed to be injured and came back in the ice. I think it was in Edmonton during the playoffs.

Back