• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

Just curious, let’s say he’s not even ready to play till November and wants to remain a Cane…can he hold off on signing a contract till he turns 35 and then sign that incentive laden deal or is that a no no?
No. He has to be 35 as of June 30 prior to the year the contract takes effect.

Right, and either way ... that can't be the move up front you hang your hat on this time around. This roster is very good, but also flawed, and it asks too much of a couple of key players up front. They HAVE to inject some real offensive zip in the top 6. It can be one guy, but that guy needs to freaking play more than 4 games this time.

Thought he could qualify as a injured player incentive based contract. Patches since he was on IR for 100 days. Pretty sure he has the 400 games

Thought he could qualify as a injured player incentive based contract. Patches since he was on IR for 100 days. Pretty sure he has the 400 games
I mean, maybe he can. I don't see how that changes the math for the Canes one way or the other. If he's probably landing in the $1-2 million range without incentives, then ... that's even less risk than a veteran minimum deal with back end incentives that would eat into the following year's cap. It's a huge risk either way, so either the Canes are either interested or they're not ... and Pacioretty is unlikely to get interest from a "better" team since the Canes are WAY less risk-averse than any of the rest of that bunch. Maybe Vegas would nibble on an incentive deal ... maybe ... but I don't see any of the other likely contenders playing that game. And if he wants to go play somewhere else, then fine. Bon chance

Just read that the laffs and canes are/might be discussing Mariner.
There is a lot of speculation coming from the GTA about that. And some of the fan proposals for trades are…interesting. Where interesting is a synonym for psychotic. How’s this for a trade: Marner for Aho, Jarvis, Pesce and a 1st rounder. It's almost as good as this one, for Pierre-Luc Dubois: PLD for Kochetkov, Nikishin and either KK or Jarvis.

There is a lot of speculation coming from the GTA about that. And some of the fan proposals for trades are…interesting. Where interesting is a synonym for psychotic. How’s this for a trade: Marner for Aho, Jarvis, Pesce and a 1st rounder. It's almost as good as this one, for Pierre-Luc Dubois: PLD for Kochetkov, Nikishin and either KK or Jarvis.
I mean, Marner is gonna cost somebody a bunch of assets ... more than PLD who will also return a fair amount. But fans ALWAYS over-estimate what they'll get when they move a star player. But you know what I've always said about Marner ... he's an elite playmaker and if he's on he block, you make the call and talk about it.

That said ... who are you calling? Oh yeah, no GM. Sorry about that, rumor birds.

Seeing DeBrincat is potentially available via trade, knowing he's a defensive liability, and remembering Rod's comments about the new scoring forward having to fit our team. That doesn't seem like a good route, plus he's small - Skinner 2.0... Who do you think good candidates are for that role on our team? A goalscorer with defensive acumen.

I don't think you're gonna find one of those, honestly. 2-way goal scorers are the modern version of power forwards who score. Just enough of them exist to make guys who kinda, sorta, potentially could turn into one a LOT of money.

And you can always tuck one guy who can't really defend into a system without causing too much trouble so long as they otherwise play a team game. DeBrincat would be fine here, but given that Ottawa is in no-man's land leadership wise, reports of his supposed availability might be fictional.

Back