• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

I am not disagreeing at all. I was one all season who kept saying we weren’t good enough. The replies I got then were it was unreasonable to complain that winning at the clip we were winning at wasn’t good enough. That’s a valid point and it still holds.

It’s hard to fault management for the results last year up until the playoffs. Hard to think it was a huge issue that they didn’t do something sooner than the deadline. Especially since they had Pacioretty coming back. And then adding Ghost ended up not moving the needle anyway. They couldn’t just blow it up mid season and it’s not like the kind of help we needed was being given away.

They seem to be trying to address the issues now which is the right time to do it, and there’s a cost to it that we’re likely not going to love.

I keep editing this thought, but I'm just gonna say that I hope we have more fun next season. By we, I mean us fans ... not the team.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone can paper over the fact that the Hurricanes had a very successful season yet fan enjoyment (at least online) was not in line with results.
We’re 5 years into the Rod Brind’Amour era and I think the fan base is a little schizo. Part of it, traumatized by the 10 years between playoff appearances, expects the floor to drop out any time there is a 2 game losing streak. Part of it is the heightened expectations of 5 straight playoff appearances and only getting to the ECF twice, and the first time was a surprise. In the RBA era, the Canes have the 4th most points behind the Bruins, Bolts and Avs. All 3 have been to the Final, 2 of them have won the Cup over that span.

Wasn't trying to be harsh, really. I've just seen a lot of complaining lately (not here, specifically) about nothing going on in the NHL like there's some sort of obligation to keep the news cycle primed. It's the dog days, guys are out of town and some of this stuff is complicated. One of The Athletic's Pittsburgh guys basically posted that sentiment on his socials and got absolutely roasted for it.
Gee, never figured you to be of the herd mentality, but there you are…🙄

We’re 5 years into the Rod Brind’Amour era and I think the fan base is a little schizo. Part of it, traumatized by the 10 years between playoff appearances, expects the floor to drop out any time there is a 2 game losing streak. Part of it is the heightened expectations of 5 straight playoff appearances and only getting to the ECF twice, and the first time was a surprise. In the RBA era, the Canes have the 4th most points behind the Bruins, Bolts and Avs. All 3 have been to the Final, 2 of them have won the Cup over that span.
Yeah, I thought better of that line of thought and bailed on it ... but this is an important point. I think we have to learn to move past that 10 years of scar tissue and figure out how to enjoy the success.

Gee, never figured you to be of the herd mentality, but there you are…🙄
Not sure how I'm a part of a herd because I'm not champing at the bit for news in mid-July when there's almost never that much news ... but whatever. Moo, I guess.

I keep editing this thought, but I'm just gonna say that I hope we have more fun next season. By we, I mean us fans ... not the team.
I second that. We’ve got sucked into the idea that the only thing that matters is winning instead of enjoying the game and championships instead of enjoying the season.

Personally, I’m hoping with better PP personnel it will be clearer whether the issues were just the personnel or poor tactics as well. As my dad used to say, “ the truth is generally in the middle” and this is likely the case here as well.

Canes signed 2nd round pick Felix Unger Sorum to his entry level contract, 3 years/$2.58 million, that’s $775k salary and $85k signing bonus each year. His AHL salary is $82.5k.

The Centennial Authority approved a 6 month contract extension through January 2024 with the consultant that is negotiating the long-term lease extension with the Canes. They hope to wrap it up earlier.

Back