• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 Canes Misc Thread

Elvis has a .904/3.2gaa ish record with Columbus, I think in front of an actual hockey team he could be pretty solid. I don't know that he'd be my first choice, but I do think he could give the Canes a fighting chance going into the playoffs with our D corps.

Elvis has a .904/3.2gaa ish record with Columbus, I think in front of an actual hockey team he could be pretty solid. I don't know that he'd be my first choice, but I do think he could give the Canes a fighting chance going into the playoffs with our D corps.
The contract is a problem ... and one you're not getting rid of for three years after this one. Same issue with the other goalie Columbus broke, Korpisalo. I think either of them would more than likely be fine backstopping the Canes ... nothing special, but reliably average ... but I don't see this club taking on a long term goalie contract for anybody who's not a stone cold lock to be good for the duration. Which is a darned short list. Any move they make almost certainly won't have term past 2024-25.

In the short run, all they need is somebody better than Perets, and preferably an upgrade on whatever Raanta has been doing. For good or ill, I think this is Kochetkov's crease for now.

Hearing some scuttlebutt that there may be a knee issue (or hip) for Kochetkov in addition to the concussion. :(

Hearing some scuttlebutt that there may be a knee issue (or hip) for Kochetkov in addition to the concussion. :(
Again with an ECHL level netminder as your only “other” goalie at the moment and Raanta just another Penguins crease crashing event away from being hurt…you would think/hope/expect Dandy Don to have a freaking plan. There might not be great options out there for goaltending help but there are several things you could do to at the very least to shore things up and provide some insurance.

Depends how long PK is out. If he’s back soon and Raanta isn’t hurt by then they don’t need to make a move. No need to make a move for a backup if you have those two playing the way they are. It’s not like the options available are not going to be available next week etc.

Anyone else find it confusing that Cam Ward decided not to enter the NFL draft and play for the Hurricanes instead. 😂

The Canes are having an optional skate today. Bunting, KK and Necas are together, with Necas in a regular jersey. Drury’s line is skating, TDA is with Orlov. Perets is the only goalie.

The Canes are having an optional skate today. Bunting, KK and Necas are together, with Necas in a regular jersey. Drury’s line is skating, TDA is with Orlov. Perets is the only goalie.
Bunting has to be getting sick of dragging that line around like a sack of potatoes and will be thrilled to see little Marty back ... turnovers and all. Man, when KK gets on a down streak, the dude just settles in for the long haul. Right now he just oozes failure.

Bunting has to be getting sick of dragging that line around like a sack of potatoes and will be thrilled to see little Marty back ... turnovers and all. Man, when KK gets on a down streak, the dude just settles in for the long haul. Right now he just oozes failure.
Yeah, KK has been awful to watch recently. You know he's got talent, but sometimes he seems lost out on the ice.

On of the kings goal was a direct result of 3 bad plays by KK on the same shift. Or maybe one lost battle and 2 bad plays.

On of the kings goal was a direct result of 3 bad plays by KK on the same shift. Or maybe one lost battle and 2 bad plays.
I remember the sequence, but can’t remember which goal. He had the puck at his feet near the Canes bench and couldn’t clear. Coulda been their 2nd or their 3rd. On their 2nd, it was at the beginning of the 3rd, just after the Kings carryover PP ended. He came out of the box and he was out there with Marty and Svech. On their 3rd, he was out with Bunting and Noesen

The Wild are sinking fast in the west, 16 points behind Dallas in the division, 8 points out of the wild card with 4 teams ahead of them. Pierre LeBrun speculates that Marc-Andre Fleury could be available if their swoon continues. He's played 9 of their last 10 in an attempt to get back into the race, but the Wild are just 2-7-1 over that span. He’s in the last year of a contract with a $3.5 million cap hit that has a full NMC. He already has 3 Cups, so he‘s not chasing hardware for the first time, although he needs 1 more playoff win to move into 3rd place all time. His numbers aren’t great, 2.97/.897 and -5.6 goals saved above expected. But he’s experienced and durable.

If he’s available, does Waddell kick the tires and see what it would take?

I'd classify I as a bad break* followed by two individual breakdowns. You hate to hang a goal on a single player barring a goaltending error, but woof ... Kotkaniemi had what I'd call a horrible shift on that one.

*it was a 50/50 battle but when KK lost it, the puck either took a weird bounce or hit a skate or something and teed itself up for the Kings better than any pass could have. The Kings got a LOT of bounces on Monday, but I feel like they mostly deserved them. That one probably was as much luck as anything else.

I'd take a flyer on Fleury. I think it's an upgrade to the quagmire we're in now, it's short term, shouldn't cost a ton, and the dude knows how to win.

Veteran Presence.

I'd take a flyer on Fleury. I think it's an upgrade to the quagmire we're in now, it's short term, shouldn't cost a ton, and the dude knows how to win.

Veteran Presence.
I'd generally vote to pass on him because he's a freaking fossil but Flower does seem to have found his game a bit recently after a rough start.

I'd generally vote to pass on him because he's a freaking fossil but Flower does seem to have found his game a bit recently after a rough start.
He’s 2.62/.908 in his last 11 games (9 starts) since mid-December. Before then? 3.39/.886 in 11 games.

Back