• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 Canes Misc Thread

On the Adam Gold Show today, John Forslund suggested that the 'Canes trade for John Gibson of Anaheim. It would cost the 'Canes some talent, but it would be worth it.

On the Adam Gold Show today, John Forslund suggested that the 'Canes trade for John Gibson of Anaheim. It would cost the 'Canes some talent, but it would be worth it.
I do think that Gibson has shown that he can at least still provide late career Ryan Miller kind of goaltending after a couple of years of being lost in the woods. Playing for terrible teams can do a number on a guy, but Gibson has bounced back to competence and his price tag has gotten comparatively more reasonable with time and contract inflation. By next year, after a summer when a cap increase drives even more contract growth, that $6 million hit won't seem so bad. It's still going to be an over-pay, but not a wild one. And Carolina has Kochetkov on a cheap deal, so $8 million total hit for the battery wouldn't be out of line compared to other teams in their bracket. Last deadline I'd have passed on Gibson. This time around, yeah ... I think he's a viable option.

LeBrun says that Nashville will listen to offers on Juuse Saros, but it will take a significant offer. He has 1 year left at $5 million.

View: https://x.com/nhltradealert/status/1748142916600479746?s=61&t=ZT8KDHkGMyk7V3JAuh5_ag

Guys like Saros don't hit the market very often. It's at least worth some digging to see just how painful that pice tag might be. And yeah, you'd be buying low because he's been very pedestrian this year ... but he's more than proven that he's got high end game.

Canes have claimed Spencer Martin from CBus

View attachment 19124
Fills the (huge) gap between Raanta and Perets, and also only has this season on his contract ... which is nice. He's an AHL keeper and a pretty good one at that level who has a bit of NHL experience (51 games for Vancouver, Colorado and CBJ). Honestly, good insurance plan with zero acquisition cost.

His numbers aren’t awe inspiring but he’s been on crappy teams
His AHL numbers are good across the board ... good or bad teams. That's all there is to see here. He's a decent break glass in case of emergency kind of goaltender.

Exactly that additional #3/4 guy we needed ahead of Perets. Who that guy actually is doesn't matter as much as simply having "a guy" who has actually played AHL/NHL hockey for some seasons. Call it fortunate that Columbus had to put their #3 on waivers.

He likely eligible to come off whenever so I think it's a compliance move
He IS eligible to come off whenever he's ready, but apparently he's not out of protocol yet ... so God knows when that's gonna be. He'll also need some work before he's ready to return to NHL action.

Back