• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 Canes Misc Thread

Svech skated before practice but not with the full group. I wonder if the collision with Aho in the Red Wings game caused the damage? Hes not traveling to Boston. RBA says Martin is possible to start tonight or Thursday.
Svech also took a slap shot off his arm just above the glove in the game before that. Could be a combination of the two.

Svech also took a slap shot off his arm just above the glove in the game before that. Could be a combination of the two.
Walt Ruff reported that (1) it's not a recurrence of his previous injury, (2) it's minor, and (3) he is expected to play again before the All Star break.

Not new news, but I never saw our goaltending challenges as clearly laid out as in this article in The Athletic today...

The Hurricanes are allowing the fewest high-danger chances per 60 minutes at even strength this season, but rank 15th in goals against. Their team save percentage of .880 isn’t just the lowest in the NHL; it’s tied for the worst for any team in more than 20 years. The last teams with a save percentage below .880 were the Atlanta Thrashers and the Tampa Bay Lightning in 1999-00.

Not new news, but I never saw our goaltending challenges as clearly laid out as in this article in The Athletic today...

The Hurricanes are allowing the fewest high-danger chances per 60 minutes at even strength this season, but rank 15th in goals against. Their team save percentage of .880 isn’t just the lowest in the NHL; it’s tied for the worst for any team in more than 20 years. The last teams with a save percentage below .880 were the Atlanta Thrashers and the Tampa Bay Lightning in 1999-00.

I read that article as well; it's a head-shaker for sure.... that'll likely be our playoff doom this year unless there's a magic fix to the goalie room either with the current guys or a roster shakeup.

Heck, if things don;t improve soon there's every chance that Carolina's historically awful goaltending is gonna land them outside of the playoff line ... which would make it make it beyond stupid if the front office doesn't make a move here pretty soon.

Let’s get Pono on the next flight to Boston.
Reporters keep falling over themselves to say that they don't want to bury Pono on the 4th line, and I say ... feel free not to do that. Balance out the 4th line with Bunting or whatever and let Pono slot into the Top 6. Knowingly playing a crappy 4th line takes away all of Carolina's depth advantages, and with their goaltending being what it is, they need every edge they can get.

Heck, if things don;t improve soon there's every chance that Carolina's historically awful goaltending is gonna land them outside of the playoff line ... which would make it make it beyond stupid if the front office doesn't make a move here pretty soon.
💯

I read that article as well; it's a head-shaker for sure.... that'll likely be our playoff doom this year unless there's a magic fix to the goalie room either with the current guys or a roster shakeup.
It’s also concerning that if Svetch isn’t in the lineup we don’t seem to be able to score. And with him in the lineup we sometimes only can score.

We need to be able to score goals against anybody if we’re going to go deep.

JB, your chronic pessimism is showing! This team has the fourth best point percentage in the Eastern conference. They'll make the playoffs.

Too lazy to look it up. Was that Thrashers situation also under Waddell?

Too lazy to look it up. Was that Thrashers situation also under Waddell?
He was, but it was a different situation. The Thrashers were a first year expansion team. They used 5 goalies that season, Scott Fankhouser, Norm Maracle, Damian Rhodes, Rick Tabaracci and Scott Langkow.

He was, but it was a different situation. The Thrashers were a first year expansion team. They used 5 goalies that season, Scott Fankhouser, Norm Maracle, Damian Rhodes, Rick Tabaracci and Scott Langkow.
That's an impressive lineup....

The Arena Authority voted today to terminate the contracts of Ratio and HOK, the architecture firms they’ve been working with for 10 years. Project manager CAA ICON told the authority it wouldn’t delay the renovations, scheduled to be done in 3 phases in the summers of 2025, 2026 and 2027. Ratio’s role was primarily linked to the north end expansion/office relocation. When that project was shelved, their role was minimized. HOK would have worked on the fan-facing renovations but the authority decided they wanted new ideas.

Back