• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 Canes Misc Thread

The Arena Authority voted today to terminate the contracts of Ratio and HOK, the architecture firms they’ve been working with for 10 years. Project manager CAA ICON told the authority it wouldn’t delay the renovations, scheduled to be done in 3 phases in the summers of 2025, 2026 and 2027. Ratio’s role was primarily linked to the north end expansion/office relocation. When that project was shelved, their role was minimized. HOK would have worked on the fan-facing renovations but the authority decided they wanted new ideas.

I wondered about that during that focus group the other night. It was run by ICON and covering a lot the same ground we had covered in previous focus groups run by Ratio.

And I'm not trying to imply that you (the royal You, not just Mr Bear) should not refrain from swearing at the team when they are showing an inclination towards not giving an eff about the game midway through the second period or when our goalie tandem is giving up softy after softy. Not in the least am I implying such behavior is not warranted. I'm just saying that we, again, have a great team and it's OK to relax (HA!) and just enjoy the ride.

Need another stat to help you see what a great team that we have to root for? The 'Canes power play is currently sitting at #3 in the entire league. THE POWER PLAY!! The penalty kill must suck ass, then, right? No. The Hurricanes penalty kill is currently sitting at #4 in the entire league! No other team in the league has a top 5 power play and kill.

The less said about team goaltending stats, the better. kthxbye

Need another stat to help you see what a great team that we have to root for? The 'Canes power play is currently sitting at #3 in the entire league. THE POWER PLAY!! The penalty kill must suck ass, then, right? No. The Hurricanes penalty kill is currently sitting at #4 in the entire league! No other team in the league has a top 5 power play and kill.
Oh, yeah? That just means we're doing it ALL on special teams and WE SUCK AT 5 on 5!!! GGRRRRRRRRR, #fireeverybody!!

😉 :devilish:

And I'm not trying to imply that you (the royal You, not just Mr Bear) should not refrain from swearing at the team when they are showing an inclination towards not giving an eff about the game midway through the second period or when our goalie tandem is giving up softy after softy. Not in the least am I implying such behavior is not warranted. I'm just saying that we, again, have a great team and it's OK to relax (HA!) and just enjoy the ride.

The less said about team goaltending stats, the better. kthxbye
I have focused my growling at the goaltending corps and feel like I'm on fairly safe ground there. If those clods could manage even league average numbers, the Canes could easily be running away with the East right now.

It’s been really nice how much attention has been paid by the organization to the mom’s trip. More visibility than ever and seeing these guys talking with/about their moms has been fantastic.
Yeah. They've done some stuff on the parents' trips before but I feel like they really leaned into it this year.

At the Canes “legacy” STM event. There is a Q&A with Waddell.

He said they had a deal struck in November to buy a AHL team but that owner backed out at the last minute. But he said something should happen I the next 30 days.

A question about the development around the building…tailgating is important for both the hockey and football teams. He said there were 3 serious accidents during football season. But preserving tailgate space is a priority.

They’re going to start renovating/expanding the Backyard Bistro around April 1. The idea of opening a sports book there has been shelved, they’re still going to try to do something in the arena.

The pro scouts are in town preparing for the trade deadline. They knew the Jackets were going to have to waive a goalie. He said it was a no-brainer that they were going to put a claim in, so they were prepared. But because of the waiver order, they didn’t know they’d get him.

They’re doing a Canes Bash on March 3, the first since Covid. STM should get an email early next week with discount offers.

At the Canes “legacy” STM event. There is a Q&A with Waddell.

He said they had a deal struck in November to buy a AHL team but that owner backed out at the last minute. But he said something should happen I the next 30 days.

They’re going to start renovating/expanding the Backyard Bistro around April 1. The idea of opening a sports book there has been shelved, they’re still going to try to do something in the arena.
AHL ... makes sense. That's where there was a lot of general chatter about Carolina's affiliate situation back before Christmas, which has gone dark in the meantime.

The Sports Book ... also interesting. I know one of the guys set to do some work on the Backyard Bistro renovation project, so maybe I can get some skinny.

Hopefully the players enjoy this lengthy time off and heal up any dings they have. 9 days is a long time between games...add in the NFL break before the Super Bowl overlapping that NHL break and I will have to find actual productive uses for all the free time I will have.

Koochie has been assigned to the Wolves, presumably to get some reps in during the Canes' break...

Yeah ... even if he only gets a couple of starts, Kochetkov hasn't played since getting hurt on Jan 11 so he'd have been looking at nearly a month without playing in a competitive game. Not ideal.

We were talking a little while ago about how the Canes would be better served now having more defensively capable #7 Dman (aka not TDA and not Dylan Coghlan). Well, in hindsight, we had that guy signed and traded him away for Cal Burke.

Caleb Jones has played 20 games for the Avs this season and has 4 assists in 20 games (+5). It's kind of a bummer now that we signed TDA because we would have been much better served just having Caleb Jones as our #7 all along.

We were talking a little while ago about how the Canes would be better served now having more defensively capable #7 Dman (aka not TDA and not Dylan Coghlan). Well, in hindsight, we had that guy signed and traded him away for Cal Burke.

Caleb Jones has played 20 games for the Avs this season and has 4 assists in 20 games (+5). It's kind of a bummer now that we signed TDA because we would have been much better served just having Caleb Jones as our #7 all along.
Yeah, that one stings a bit. I mean, I never got the fascination with DeAngelo in the first place, but that decision gets dumber and dumber as the days go by. I understand the Canes have been shopping him since early December with no luck ... and I doubt it's because they're asking too much in return.

Back