• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 Canes Misc Thread

An economic impact analysis commissioned by the Centennial Authority and done by an economics professor at UNCC says that PNC Arena could generate more than $3 billion in revenue for Wake County. It was based on the 2022-23 season impact of on-and off-site activities associated with events at the arena. The analysis says that more than 600 events take place at the arena annually, which seems way high, and hosts 1.5 million people.

I don’t know if this is behind a paywall or not, but here is the article.

The Canes consistently are voted one of the worst visiting locker rooms. Like GMDW, I’m OK with that, but they are going to be upgraded over the summer.
Yes, this was in The Athletic's survey of 200 players published earlier this week. Raleigh was voted the fourth-worst road city to play in (following Winnipeg, Ottawa, and Buffalo), but the comments suggest it was almost entirely because of the locker rooms and not a reflection on the city.

Buzzards starting to circle Ottawa? A lot of their better players have a lot of term left on their deals except for Vlad Tarasenko who is a pending UFA and who has a full no trade he can wield to control where he goes and Jeff Chychrun who has one more year left and a 10-team no trade list.

Detroit would want to make hockey trades. I don't expect Yzerman is going to make a big trade involving young assets and picks with his team on the bubble but they probably would want to make a few tweaks to try to improve their playoff chances.

Trade deadline is 5 weeks away and the Canucks took a big piece off the trade market.
Forgot to make a comment on this earlier ... Carolina has several Detroit-based scouts so this could mean absolutely nothing other than there weren't many games this week. I don't even think Detroit would be looking to move anybody that Carolina would want unless it's a prospect/depth thing. Ottawa, however ... who knows? Korpisalo has apparently asked to be moved, or at least hinted at it. We've discussed him before and I think the contract is a problem. They've got a lot of term ties up in some fairly schleppy players. You'd have to figure the Canes would do their due diligence on Tarasenko, but again ... he's turned up his nose at Carolina before.

Yes, this was in The Athletic's survey of 200 players published earlier this week. Raleigh was voted the fourth-worst road city to play in (following Winnipeg, Ottawa, and Buffalo), but the comments suggest it was almost entirely because of the locker rooms and not a reflection on the city.

As someone who worked in those locker rooms for 6 years, I concur, they are awful. Even more amazing is that they look exactly the same today as they did in 1998. Same ratty carpet, same budget gym showers. We used to put the drink coolers in the second bathroom shower stall. It was awful and hilarious at the same time.

As someone who worked in those locker rooms for 6 years, I concur, they are awful. Even more amazing is that they look exactly the same today as they did in 1998. Same ratty carpet, same budget gym showers. We used to put the drink coolers in the second bathroom shower stall. It was awful and hilarious at the same time.
In the video he referenced the ”stars” dressing rooms. Did the concert performers use the visiting locker rooms too or were there separate rooms for them?

In the video he referenced the ”stars” dressing rooms. Did the concert performers use the visiting locker rooms too or were there separate rooms for them?

Yea. They would put curtains around the lockers to hide them and then bring in couches, tables, lamps, etc…but most ‘stars’ travel with their own dressing room furniture

I agree with CMal’s list on needs for the Canes at the deadline. Call me crazy, but I wouldn’t hate a minor move to acquire Fleury to add a veteran, playoff proven goalie, I just don’t see Freddy as a viable option to bank on right now at all. A veteran, depth defenseman that can slot in when injuries strike is a must have and the previously mentioned center addition for depth is a wish list item that may or may not arrive. Maybe the biggest wishlist item is a healthy team come playoff time that includes Svech and of course the new guys like Lemieux and Bunting and Orlov being in a snarly, truculent mood when the real season begins!

Watching the All Star skills competetion and it looked like Kucherov didn't give 2 [Polar's words] worth of effort. I guess he knew he was already out of the money, so why give a rip? Too bad they left Aho out. He wants to win anything & everything and probably would have put forth some effort..

That arena is quiet as a tomb. Not even a golf clap for Makar winning hardest shot.

Jim

Jim

Watching the All Star skills competetion and it looked like Kucherov didn't give 2 [Polar's words] worth of effort. I guess he knew he was already out of the money, so why give a rip? Too bad they left Aho out. He wants to win anything & everything and probably would have put forth some effort..

That arena is quiet as a tomb. Not even a golf clap for Makar winning hardest shot.

Jim

Jim
I usually watch the Skills Competition, but when you limit it to 12 prom queens* competing and none of them is from the Canes, what's the point? They rigged it so McDavid could show off and win, "proving" he's the best in the game.

*egotistical players chosen by a popularity contest

Again ... the NHL has no real idea what product they're even selling these days and maybe even less of an idea of who they're trying to sell it to. So any kind of showcase is going to be a dud.

I usually watch the Skills Competition, but when you limit it to 12 prom queens* competing and none of them is from the Canes, what's the point? They rigged it so McDavid could show off and win, "proving" he's the best in the game.

*egotistical players chosen by a popularity contest
I did find it a bit overloaded with players from Canadian teams. Imagine that? Whatever. They didn't really try to make it interesting or a level playing field. I was wondering what tickets went for at that exhibition? Bet it was borderline insanity.

Jim

All present and accounted for at practice except for Aho and Martinook, who wasn’t feeling well. RBA said he expects Martinook back tomorrow. Svech was skating in a non-contact jersey.

Didn't watch the skills live or the game. Watching 6 Leafs/Nucks/Oilers/whatever is super boring AF. If they need a separate Canadian All-Star game with only players on Canadian teams than do that. Kucherov had more interest in being there than I did watching, and it wasn't even close.

but they did have Bieber! (barf)

The NHL seems to have no actual defined consensus of who their target audience is, and an effective marketing strat? forget it.

The analysis says that more than 600 events take place at the arena annually, which seems way high, and hosts 1.5 million people.
that's almost an average of 2 events per day; that can only be possible if their definition of an event is very, very loose.

I'd have to see what they call an "event" to know for sure. 1.5 million a year is only like an average of 4,200 people per day so they obviously aren't talking about games and concerts when they note 600 events.

Aho and Martinook are on the ice for practice today, Svech is still in a yellow jersey, so he’s probably still out for tomorrow night.

Courtesy of Ryan Henkel on Twitter, the lines are below. And we have first line Martinook.

Martinook-Aho-Teravainen
Bunting-Drury-Necas
Jarvis-Staal-Fast
Lemieux-Kotkaniemi-Noesen

Slavin-Burns
Skjei-Pesce
Orlov-Chatfield

Svech is not working on the PP, another indication that he’s out tomorrow.

PP1: Burns, Teravainen, Aho, Jarvis, Bunting

PP2: Skjei, Necas, Kotkaniemi, Drury, Noesen

Back