• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 Canes Misc Thread

Some line shuffling today with Necas’ return. He also skated ith PP2, so it looks like he’s a go for Friday. They’ll practice again tomorrow.

And Andersen hasn’t started skating yet. So what Waddell told Gold a month ago was premature or wishful thinking.

Svechnikov-Aho-Teravainen
Bunting-Kotkaniemi-Fast
Martinook-Staal-Jarvis
Noesen-Drury-Necas

Slavin-Burns
Skjei-Pesce
Orlov-Chatfield

Depends how long PK is out. If he’s back soon and Raanta isn’t hurt by then they don’t need to make a move. No need to make a move for a backup if you have those two playing the way they are. It’s not like the options available are not going to be available next week etc.
I mean, that's a way to go ... but do you know what you're gonna see from Raanta night to night? Because I do not.

He’s 2.62/.908 in his last 11 games (9 starts) since mid-December. Before then? 3.39/.886 in 11 games.
And that team is absolutely broken defensively ... so that recent line is fairly impressive. He's also stabilized his goals allowed above expected rate in that stretch. It's not vintage Flower stuff, but it IS league average stuff ... which is what Carolina badly needs and can't seem to get for any real stretch of time.

I mean, that's a way to go ... but do you know what you're gonna see from Raanta night to night? Because I do not.
Nope. But if PK is back and Raanta is a game a week or so it’s reasonable. Assuming PK is back and still sharp. Until PK was hurt it was a reasonable approach and was working.

My point is that while it’s been uncomfortable, it’s been working until PK got hurt and really until Monday. It’s not any harder to go get someone this week than last week. Makes sense to wait until it’s not working instead of working but uncomfortable.

With Andersen not on the ice yet, we won't really know anything about him until the trade deadline probably at best; that's not good enough imho.

They need to make a move.

There are #3/4 goalies floating around out there and probably available if the Canes are motivated enough to acquire one. The question to me is are we shopping for a 1A/B level goalie or just another backup we could trust? If you go get MAF you are not playing Kochetkov 3 games and MAF one. You are splitting the time evenly and pretty much sidelining Raanta completely. You are also mostly saying Freddie is not coming back this season (which is probably how the Canes should be planning anyways).

The current regime has never made an in season trade for a goalie, even when we were faced with having to start Jack LaFontaine. So we are a bit in uncharted territory. I would be very surprised if we did anything to supplant Raanta and PK as our top 2 goalies. That would be very much out of the box for Dundon/Waddell. I could be ok with that, but only if we go get SOMEONE to be the #3 behind them. That someone cannot be Yanev Perets, we need someone who ideally has SOME NHL experience.

Last edited:
It's literally not working right now.
What’s your point? This discussion was about it not being malpractice for them to have been running PK as the starter and Raanta as backup.

If PK is going to be out more than another game or so it’s not ok to go for any extended amount of time with Raanta and Perets (unless Perets plays and continues to not allow any goals I guess). That’s exactly what meant. It becomes a problem when it’s actually a problem. Seems like we’re there now unless PK is back very soon.

What’s your point? This discussion was about it not being malpractice for them to have been running PK as the starter and Raanta as backup.

If PK is going to be out more than another game or so it’s not ok to go for any extended amount of time with Raanta and Perets (unless Perets plays and continues to not allow any goals I guess). That’s exactly what meant. It becomes a problem when it’s actually a problem. Seems like we’re there now unless PK is back very soon.
My point if we keep waiting for them to make a move "when it matters" and they keep not making a move when it actually does matter and they only have 1 halfway legit NHL goalie available ... then it IS in fact a problem. Right now, in fact ... it's a problem. They have one NHL goalie available and nobody has any idea if he's gonna show up night to night. His current backup is barely even a pro goalie.

I've been pretty consistent on this ... they should go freaking get somebody, even if it's just a 3rd wheel with NHL experience. Even after Kochetkov comes back ... for all the reasons stated and all the actual stuff we've seen.

There are #3/4 goalies floating around out there and probably available if the Canes are motivated enough to acquire one. The question to me is are we shopping for a 1A/B level goalie or just another backup we could trust? If you go get MAF you are not playing Kochetkov 3 games and MAF one. You are splitting the time evenly and pretty much sidelining Raanta completely. You are also mostly saying Freddie is not coming back this season (which is probably how the Canes should be planning anyways).

The current regime has never made an in season trade for a goalie, even when we were faced with having to start Jack LaFontaine. So we are a bit in uncharted territory. I would be very surprised if we did anything to supplant Raanta and PK as our top 2 goalies. That would be very much out of the box for Dundon/Waddell. I could be ok with that, but only if we go get SOMEONE to be the #3 behind them. That someone cannot be Yanev Perets, we need someone who ideally has SOME NHL experience.
In an ideal world, we’d have an AHL team to send Kochetkov to if the Canes made a trade for a NHL goalie. Springfield grabbed him because they had a need after their goalie was promoted when Vasilevskiy went down. But that situation is resolved. Sidelining Raanta? It sucks for him, but we have no obligation beyond this season.

One of the Canes guys at The Hockey Writers advocates for Kasimir Kaskisuo. He’s in AHL Laval on a PTO. He’s 30 years old and has significant AHL experience, 2 NHL games, 1 each for Toronto and Nashville. But there is no place for him now.

..... His current backup is barely even a pro goalie.

Not to speak ill of Yanev Perets (I'm going to speak ill of him anyway), but I fully believe that if Skyler Brind'Amour wasn't playing at Quinnipiac University, no one in NHL circles, AHL circles, or maybe even ECHL circles would have had Yanev Perets on their radar. Same is true of Charles-Alexis Legault, the Quinnipiac DMan we drafted in the 5th round of the 2023 NHL draft.

I suspect Perets had absolutely no illusions of playing NHL hockey this season (if ever). But we don't need a college teammate of the coach's son being one tweak away from being the only healthy goalie our Cup contending organization has under contract.

Perets probably is a viable ECHL starting goalie given his success in college. And he MIGHT develop into some NHL team's #3 goalie years down the road. But he has no business in the NHL at the moment. Maybe we can limp along the rest of this week with him manning the door, but next week we have a back to back on Wed/Thr. Perets cannot start one of those games and Raanta cannot start both of them. If PK is not ready by then, the Canes will need to have done something to get another goalie.

Last edited:
Not to speak ill of Yanev Perets (I'm going to speak ill of him anyway), but I fully believe that if Skyler Brind'Amour wasn't playing at Quinnipiac University, no one in NHL circles, AHL circles, or maybe even ECHL circles would have had Yanev Perets on their radar. Same is true of Charles-Alexis Legault, the Quinnipiac DMan we drafted in the 5th round of the 2023 NHL draft.

I suspect Perets had absolutely no illusions of playing NHL hockey this season (if ever). But we don't need a college teammate of the coach's son being one tweak away from being the only healthy goalie our Cup contending organization has under contract.

Perets probably is a viable ECHL starting goalie given his success in college. And he MIGHT develop into some NHL team's #3 goalie years down the road. But he has no business in the NHL at the moment. Maybe we can limp along the rest of this week with him manning the door, but next week we have a back to back on Wed/Thr. Perets cannot start one of those games and Raanta cannot start both of them. If PK is not ready by then, the Canes will need to have done something to get another goalie.
I 100% agree (and actually want to add to your comment my understanding that Yanev was Skyler's roommate at Quinnipiac!), but I can't help but think of the story of Mike Piazza.

For those unaware, Piazza was the very last pick (#1390 overall in the 62nd round) of the 1988 MLB draft, and Los Angeles only selected him as a favor to Piazza's father, who was a friend of Dodgers manager Tommy Lasorda. (Lasorda was Piazza's godfather.) Piazza, of course, went on become one of the greatest-hitting catchers in baseball history, with a career average of .308 and hitting more than 400 home runs, and was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Now, drafting in baseball is far more of a crapshoot than it is in hockey, but hey, you never know!

Last edited:
I do agree that sometimes success is a matter of catching the right break at the right time. If you never catch that break, you might easily fall by the wayside. Perets probably caught his big break playing at Quinnipiac with Skyler Brind'Amour. Skyler Brind'Amour might only be playing pro hockey because of who his father is (32 Games 1 Goal 4 Assists -14 for AHL Charlotte if you haven't been following him)

Mike Piazza played most of 4 seasons in the minors, which is actually an amazingly fast progression to the Majors for such an unheralded prospect. In his 20 and 21 year old seasons, Piazza hit 14 homers in 470 ABs combined and hit .257. Then as a 22 year old in high A ball, he hit 29 homers in 448 ABs with a .277 BA. Then in AA/AAA as a 23 year old he hit .350 with 23 homers in 473 ABs before being called up to the majors in 1992. My interest in Mike Piazza is because one of my baseball teammates from our small town in CT was also a catcher and also drafted by the Dodgers in 1991 (3 years after Piazza and 41 rounds earlier than Piazza was). He never got past high A ball and was done as a pro by 1995. It's pretty darn tough to make it to the Major leagues, but my friend's claim to fame was actually playing for the Dodgers in preseason games in 1995 coming out of the 1994 players strike. He was a 'scab' if you want to classify his situation as such. It was more framed to him as 'you will be at the Major league camp and play MLB Spring training games for the Dodgers, or you will be out of the organization'. He ended up being let go anyways after the 1995 season and from there his baseball exploits were reserved to tearing up the local Men's leagues back in CT.

Yanev Perets probably needs at least 4 years in the minors to grow his game and maybe become a viable fringe NHL goalie. I definitely am rooting for him to seize the opportunity. But if the Canes try to start him next week, well, that is bad on the Canes.

I 100% agree (and actually want to add to your comment my understanding that Yanev was Skyler's roommate at Quinnipiac!), but I can't help but think of the story of Mike Piazza.

For those unaware, Piazza was the very last pick (#1390 overall in the 62nd round) of the 1998 MLB draft, and Los Angeles only selected him as a favor to Piazza's father, who was a friend of Dodgers manager Tommy Lasorda. (Lasorda was Piazza's godfather.) Piazza, of course, went on become one of the greatest-hitting catchers in baseball history, with a career average of .308 and hitting more than 400 home runs, and was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Now, drafting in baseball is far more of a crapshoot than it is in hockey, but hey, you never know!
1988 Draft, please. You made my space-time continuum feel a little fucked up w/ that typo.

Skyler Smith wouldn’t have been drafted. But Skyler Brind’Amour was drafted out of the USNTD pool, moving between the U17 and U18 teams. In his draft year, he played 8 games, recording 1 goal, no assists and was -10. Joel Farabee, Mattias Samuelsson, Oliver Wahlstrom and K’Andre Miller were also on that U17 team while the U18s had Josh Norris, Quinn Hughes and Brady Tkachuk. His numbers at Chilliwack in the BCHL were OK, he had 44 points in 52 games in his 2nd year. Some guy named Kevin Wall had 64 points. You might recall that the Canes drafted Wall after that season and didn’t sign him after 4 years at Penn State. He‘s playing for AHL Milwaukee where he has 2 goals, 3 assists in 22 games.

If you realistically look at Freddy being in limbo with no idea if he comes back at all this season you go find a legit guy that you’re not afraid to start a playoff game with. I thought this team was built to try and contend for a Cup now…if that’s the case, why not Fleury, why not something more than an Aaron Dell type…with all due respect to Raanta, he’s old and injury prone and Pyotr is still mighty green behind the ears…I’d feel better having a legit proven guy brought in for not only insurance but as a way to send a message to the current roster that you are still serious about winning a Cup.

Back