• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 Canes Misc Thread

Coghlan has the #8 spot completely locked down with absolutely no one to challenge him for it. He is the guy.

#9 is.....Griffin Mendel? Anttoni Honka? Dom Fensore? Ronan Seeley? All 4 of those guys are playing ECHL hockey this season.
Just for giggles, I went back and looked at the last 3 seasons ... and this is not an academic question. Adjusting for mid season trades, the Canes have gone to 9 and even 10 deep on the defense depth chart two out of the last three seasons. Having Coghlan or Jones in that slot is kinda overkill, but having Honka as your 9th guy is kinda under-kill.

Coghlan is the only guy in the AHL. All the other dmen under contract are in Norfolk, except Heimosalmi, who was sent back to Assat in Finland.

Coghlan is the only guy in the AHL. All the other dmen under contract are in Norfolk, except Heimosalmi, who was sent back to Assat in Finland.
Apparently Waddell told reporters that the entire AHL is our depth chart ... by which he means anyone on a direct contract with an AHL team. I mean, he's not wrong. Hopefully they're putting together a well scouted shopping list.

Apparently Waddell told reporters that the entire AHL is our depth chart ... by which he means anyone on a direct contract with an AHL team. I mean, he's not wrong. Hopefully they're putting together a well scouted shopping list.
It was nice to hear Waddell say he had a ten minute conversation with Brisebois to find Pyotr a solid place to play in Syracuse and get lots of starts with the ripple effect of the Vasi injury.

I was just looking at standings (3 games in...I know), but Carolina is tied with Tampa for the most goals given up @14 (!). WTF happened to our D? I read some other takes on a different tread regarding the Canes inability to stop other teams, but it just seems more shocking seeing it in print. Did we regress back to the 1980's or something? Chemistry can be a fragile thing to balance. I have faith in RBA and the team leadership to get things settled. Wearing the biggest bullseye will have everybody else gunning for you every night. How is it that the Ducks always seem to have Carolina's number anyway? Luckily, there's 79 regular season games to go and time to get it sorted out.

Jim

I was just looking at standings (3 games in...I know), but Carolina is tied with Tampa for the most goals given up @14 (!). WTF happened to our D? I read some other takes on a different tread regarding the Canes inability to stop other teams, but it just seems more shocking seeing it in print. Did we regress back to the 1980's or something? Chemistry can be a fragile thing to balance. I have faith in RBA and the team leadership to get things settled. Wearing the biggest bullseye will have everybody else gunning for you every night. How is it that the Ducks always seem to have Carolina's number anyway? Luckily, there's 79 regular season games to go and time to get it sorted out.

Jim
It’s 3 games. We won 2. They’re going to be fine.

Couple of things at play here ...

Polar, I love the slot machine reference. That five man group that includes the 777 D pairing AND the secondary scoring line up front has sucked on toast in the D zone. Blame individuals all you want, but make sure to at least recognize that it's a five man job.

There's a reason the Canes struggled last season with crappy teams and I suspect that's going to be an issue again this season. You guys know the drill. The Canes get a lot of traction out of that swarming system they play and it's tough to do that when you don't respect the opponent. You can "yeah, but" this all you want. It's not wrong.

Early days means more than small sample sizes. It also means we're in the early stages of getting new guys comfortable in new roles with new responsibilities. Honestly, at this stage and with what the off season priorities were ... I'm just happy the Canes are scoring the puck.

Frank Seravalli tweeted that the Canes let it be known at the last NHL Board of Governors meeting that they’d be willing to pay a significant premium above the $11.8 million sales price of the last AHL franchise transaction. I’m not sure why they addressed the NHL BOG, NHL teams own 21 of the 32 AHL teams and it’s unlikely they’d find a receptive audience there. Perhaps when they address the AHL BOG they’ll get a different response.

Back