• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League - 2024-25 Regular Season

Gorton / Hughes on multiple occasions refuse to even acknowledge the word rebuild always trying to dance around the term, it ain’t happenin..
So what? Lawyers, of which Hughes is one, frequently engage in verbal gymnastics. It means nothing. We’ll see what the actions are, as CH said.

Gorton / Hughes on multiple occasions refuse to even acknowledge the word rebuild always trying to dance around the term, it ain’t happenin..
I recall your self-assurance that Emile Castenguay was going to replace Biceps as the GM . . . because Geoff talked about “more diversity” in the team’s management - maybe he meant to say “Canucks management” - which so far seems he really didn’t mean. See how that actions speak louder than words thing works? I don’t think it’ll be a 7 year rebuild either but 2-3 is within reason.

Gorton/Hughes raised the bar high “we want to be a serious contender every year”

The only thing “obvious” to me is that no NHL team has ever accomplished this in one offseason.

So unless their actions prove otherwise, my default hunch will be rebuild

Just like my default hunch with Marc (“once you make the playoffs anything can happen”) Bergevin was “no rebuild”.

I don’t think it’ll be a 7 year rebuild either but 2-3 is within reason.

my hunch is that Gorton/Hughes said “this shit takes time but if you hire us wizards, we’ll do it quickly…. Here’s our plan…..”

As Godin / Basu eloquently put it:

It’s become blatantly obvious the ownership consortium will not tolerate an extended rebuild - pure lip service by Jr as CH stated above

That head of hockey ops stopped the rebuild after 2-seasons…he’ll follow the same blueprint or fail trying w Habs

correction : will fail trying

Gorton/Hughes raised the bar high “we want to be a serious contender every year”

The only thing “obvious” to me is that no NHL team has ever accomplished this in one offseason.

So unless their actions prove otherwise, my default hunch will be rebuild

Just like my default hunch with Marc (“once you make the playoffs anything can happen”) Bergevin was “no rebuild”.

Why would they trade TT ( and get nothing to help now ) , one of the few valuable assets upfront if they were not going to do a rebuild

I agree with your hunch , may not be a gut job but more than just retool tweaks

Reactions: CH1
I recall your self-assurance that Emile Castenguay was going to replace Biceps as the GM . . . because Geoff talked about “more diversity” in the team’s management - maybe he meant to say “Canucks management” - which so far seems he really didn’t mean. See how that actions speak louder than words thing works? I don’t think it’ll be a 7 year rebuild either but 2-3 is within reason.

Its 2-3 if the right moves are made , to even get to respectability

There is no frame to work , not one star core piece

Why would they trade TT ( and get nothing to help now ) , one of the few valuable assets upfront if they were not going to do a rebuild

I agree with your hunch , may not be a gut job but more than just retool tweaks

and why would they sit down with vets like Petry, Gallagher, Anderson to discuss the "future"?

This is the kind of thing I wish I was hearing from Gorton and Hughes; an admission that the team needs to be gutted and rebuilt from scratch. Geoff needs to accept that this can't be fixed in 6 months.

Hawks have been done for years , window is shut

Time to move Patty and give a contender 2 playoffs before his contract is up

and why would they sit down with vets like Petry, Gallagher, Anderson to discuss the "future"?

Exactly , they are just dancing around the subject spewing crap

The only way to get better is to eat cap and dump Gally , Petry , and 31 if he is physically and mentally ready to go next year

Team missed the boat on Suzuki deals at 125% but maybe can salvage .80 on the dollar and get some picks / prospects in return

Hoping some kids like Guehle are studs in 2 years and team has 2 kick ass drafts in a row

Only way Hughes can preach to be a contender every year is stop being a PRETENDER

I would 100% take a shot on Juolevi.

No idea what's happened to him since he got drafted. Maybe that rumor about him being addicted to video games has some validity to it, who knows, but still.

Too many major injuries but he was overrated in junior

Mete outplayed him in London in his draft year

Damn. That removes the possible hilarity of seeing The Choking Dog on Toronto and to watch him meltdown anytime there's an iota of pressure on him.

Back