• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League - 2024-25 Regular Season

And what was his excuse w Canes - all those top-10 picks and squat. Albeit he built the core of the present Canes team, but could’ve done so much more with all those top-10 picks

Did he? He can receive credit for Aho (depending on how much credit you can give a GM for a 2nd round pick), Necas and Teuraveinen. Pretty much everybody else on the roster is before of after him.

Hurricanes almost folded during his tenure, never made the playoffs once and some of the lowest attendance in the league. Strange choice for an expansion team trying to win a new market.

Did he? He can receive credit for Aho (depending on how much credit you can give a GM for a 2nd round pick), Necas and Teuraveinen. Pretty much everybody else on the roster is before of after him.

Hurricanes almost folded during his tenure, never made the playoffs once and some of the lowest attendance in the league. Strange choice for an expansion team trying to win a new market.
Slavin, Pesce, Aho, Teuravainen trade, Lindholm & Hanifin (moved for Hamilton by Waddell), Staal trade

Francis DID build much of the core in Carolina. He never got a goalie decision correct though, and decided to keep Bill Peters around for another year even after finding out he was an abusive bog man. The biggest favors he did the franchise aside from drafting Aho and acquiring Teravainen were the long term deals he got done for Pesce and Slavin.

And Jordan Staal was a Rutherford deal.

Francis DID build much of the core in Carolina. He never got a goalie decision correct though, and decided to keep Bill Peters around for another year even after finding out he was an abusive bog man. The biggest favors he did the franchise aside from drafting Aho and acquiring Teravainen were the long term deals he got done for Pesce and Slavin.

And Jordan Staal was a Rutherford deal.

Obviously you know your team better than me but I only count 3 players on the current roster being acquired by Francis. Am I missing someone?

Obviously you know your team better than me but I only count 3 players on the current roster being acquired by Francis. Am I missing someone?
Not really, but when you factor in those contracts for Slavin and Pesce (who are absolutely the core of the D) then add in Aho, Teravainen and Necas ... that's some solid core building, right there. And don't get me wrong. I think Francis is a mediocre GM at best. But he's a better roster builder than his Seattle team would lead you to believe. He's just so danged cautious and/or risk averse that I think he was a terrible fit for an expansion franchise.

Not really, but when you factor in those contracts for Slavin and Pesce (who are absolutely the core of the D) then add in Aho, Teravainen and Necas ... that's some solid core building, right there. And don't get me wrong. I think Francis is a mediocre GM at best. But he's a better roster builder than his Seattle team would lead you to believe. He's just so danged cautious and/or risk averse that I think he was a terrible fit for an expansion franchise.
I don't think that's logically feasible given that Francis is the guy who built that roster.

I don't think that's logically feasible given that Francis is the guy who built that roster.
Re-phrase then ... he's done better in the past. Does logic dictate that if you've done a thing well and then done it poorly, then the latter takes precedence over the former? I'm just proposing that Francis is less bad as a pro personnel guy than he looks at the current moment.

Back