• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

I don't believe in the mystical "Well, there's X teams, therefore by definition you must have X #1 centers" nonsense. If, for example, the 32nd best center in hockey is Nico Hischier, I'm sorry to break it to you, but he's not a #1 just because he's the 32nd best in his position. He's a fine #2, though. Same thing with d-men, same thing with goalies, same thing with franchise QBs in football, etc.

Hot take, Nick Suzuki's not a #1 center. He's a #2.

Guhle isn't going to be a #1. You can sell me on him being a #2 possibly, although I think it's much more likely that he's the anchor on a second pairing like Niklas Hjalmarsson was for Chicago, but I don't think he has the offensive instincts to be a #1 d-man.

You guys sucks at arguments. There is a range with players, and a lot of range between McDavid, Hischier and Desharnais. Is Malkin a #2 center because he played behind Crosby his whole life? Did Tavares became a #2 the moment he signed with Toronto? What is a #1 anyway? For a center he needs to be the offensive driver and can go against other top lines , ie doesn’t need to be shielded. Same for a #1 defense, it’s the guy that play close to 25 minutes, contribute offense and can go against any line in the league.

It’s all semantics. When the the chips are down, are we good with Suzuki and Guhle on the ice? Increasingly, yes. Was that ever the case for Desharnais. Jeebus no. Markov? Yeah, I think so.

You guys sucks at arguments. There is a range with players, and a lot of range between McDavid, Hischier and Desharnais. Is Malkin a #2 center because he played behind Crosby his whole life? Did Tavares became a #2 the moment he signed with Toronto? What is a #1 anyway? For a center he needs to be the offensive driver and can go against other top lines , ie doesn’t need to be shielded. Same for a #1 defense, it’s the guy that play close to 25 minutes, contribute offense and can go against any line in the league.
They both said last year that Suzuki was a 60 point center. He was . . . last year but many of us said that it was silly to assume that he had reached his ceiling. Suzuki is/will be a legit no. 1 center. He just won’t be in the class of 97, 29, 87, etc. He reminds me a lot of Mike Richards in his prime years in Philly.

Last edited:
Guhle is 15 games into his career. It's far too early to tell where his ceiling will be but so far he's done exceedingly well against other teams top lines. That's a good early indicator.

The way the Habs have prepared the young guys to be nhl ready so quickly makes me confident their development process has greatly improved.

Guhle's ceiling could be very high.

They both said last year that Suzuki was a 60 point center. He was . . . last year but many of us that it was silly to assume that he had reached his ceiling. Suzuki is/will be a legit no. 1 center. He just won’t be in the class of 97, 29, 87, etc.
Nick is trending to be a 1C this year , keep it going

Guhle is 15 games into his career. It's far too early to tell where his ceiling will be but so far he's done exceedingly well against other teams top lines. That's a good early indicator.

The way the Habs have prepared the young guys to be nhl ready so quickly makes me confident their development process has greatly improved.

Guhle's ceiling could be very high.

Luv the kid , but he needs to put up more points offensively to be a 1D

He hasn't won a Norris like Hedman or Josi (your examples), He is a very good offensive d man.. It is pushing it calling him a "beast" IMO

There are multiple levels of talent

Franchise D are Hedman , Josi types

JC has been a 1D for many years , and he was a fucken beast that year and the playoffs

He continued playing well since then and is more than just an offensive D

Hughes is an offensive D but pure trash defending , JC is a better player

Then you have your , " I got nothing else so he is my 1D or 1C by default types " all over the league

There are multiple levels of talent

Franchise D are Hedman , Josi types

JC has been a 1D for many years , and he was a fucken beast that year and the playoffs

He continued playing well since then and is more than just an offensive D

Hughes is an offensive D but pure trash defending , JC is a better player

Then you have your , " I got nothing else so he is my 1D or 1C by default types " all over the league
My brain is hurting from reading that.

Back