• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

i don't think i've ever waited more than 5 minutes? to vote. and that might actually be an exaggeration (as in too long). voting location is just across the street.

when i see hours long lineups it's hard not to conclude that it's partly by design or no real desire to make it easier.
Well, there's obviously logistics that go into it like getting enough volunteers to work additional locations, but not it's all a concerted effort, you're right. The blue counties I've lived in are just trying to suppress all those red voters, for sure.

oh it's almost always by design.

Oh yeah, 100%. Entire counties with only a couple polling places. No required time off to vote, etc...
Like, I think a couple times I've probably had to wait like 15 minutes to vote. If you go between 5 and 6pm in a crowded polling place, MAYBE the wait can stretch to like 30 minutes, especially if it's a super strict old polling worker who takes forever to look up your name. Sure, it takes them a few hours to count the votes since it's all manual, those poll workers who take forever to look up your name also are the absolute slowest at counting their box. But half the time I went to vote, it was in the lobby of my condo building with absolutely no lineup whatsoever.

My point was that it's consistent with the information needed to access and change your personal voter information and how you request an absentee ballot.
Are you saying that anyone has always been able to go online and cancel your registration if they know the slightest bit of information about you?

Well, there's obviously logistics that go into it like getting enough volunteers to work additional locations, but not it's all a concerted effort, you're right. The blue counties I've lived in are just trying to suppress all those red voters, for sure.
No chance of the reverse ever happening? Asking for 2.5 million mail in ballots in Texas.

Are you saying that anyone has always been able to go online and cancel your registration if they know the slightest bit of information about you?
I'm saying it's consistent with how easy they make it to register to vote, they make it equally easy to cancel.

You are for making it easier to vote, right?

I'm saying it's consistent with how easy they make it to register to vote, they make it equally easy to cancel.

The only person who should be allowed to willingly cancel, is the person registered.
Not some assclown.

at least in Canada, most poll workers are volunteers. and usually elderly. should be a ready supply...

he either deliberately missed the point or does not appreciate the risk. which is ironic given his previous claims of voter fraud

understood, but that is not my concern. or, I believe, HL's.
I hear you and the concern. I just don't think it's some intentional nefarious attempt to cancel out people's ability to vote. Just like you would believe the ease of registering to vote isn't some nefarious attempt at fraud.

It's consistent with the loose controls around voting identity.

there are clear and obvious reasons why making it easier to register to vote is a good thing for democracy.

what are the reasons why making it easier to cancel someone's registration to vote (either you or some random fucking stranger) is a good thing for democracy?

I hear you and the concern. I just don't think it's some intentional nefarious attempt to cancel out people's ability to vote. Just like you would believe the ease of registering to vote isn't some nefarious attempt at fraud.

It's consistent with the loose controls around voting identity.
there was a comment on the tweet HL posted quite literally encouraging folks to cancel the registrations of people they know

there are clear and obvious reasons why making it easier to register to vote is a good thing for democracy.

what are the reasons why making it easier to cancel someone's registration to vote (either you or some random fucking stranger) is a good thing for democracy?
So that it's easier to register elsewhere when you move is a reason I can think of off the top of my head.

If you change your statement to say why is it good to register a stranger and vote for that person without their consent then it's just as concerning.

All consistent with the loose voting controls in the US.

I'd also say it's a common sense practice to check your voter registration status months before an election, as I have, and to also check your ballot status to make sure it was counted, as I have done each election as well.

So that it's easier to register elsewhere when you move is a reason I can think of off the top of my head.

If you change your statement to say why is it good to register a stranger and vote for that person without their consent then it's just as concerning.

All consistent with the loose voting controls in the US.
except that's factually not true.

the requirements in Georgia to cancel a voter registration are significantly less onerous than what's required to actually vote, online or in person.

Back