• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 9s
Blue Jays get Erik Kratz and Rob Rasmussen from Phillies in the Lincoln deal. Kratz is a good defensive catcher.

Take that New York! :smilewinkgrin:

There is your back up catcher.

Thole is now 3rd string, insurance if there is an injury and to help ease JJ back in AAA to start the season.

After the offensive season he had last year, much like JPA, there was no reason they should count on him this season and promise him a spot on the roster. I don't care if he can catch a knuckleball or not. He hit 147.

Kratz actually hits right handed pitching fairly well as opposed to lefties. Navarro hits lefties really well. I smell a platoon to maximize the splits.

Kratz and Navarro will only be the tandem if one of them can handle Dickey...and AA has acknowledged that Navarro is terrible at blocking balls.

liking the offseason so far.

boston losing key players. orioles losing key players. tampa making their typical bizarre aquisitions. yankees ridiculously overpaying everyone and looking likely to lose Cano.

jays made a couple of cheap smart moves to likely upgrade one position. will probably add a couple more pieces and lose nobody.

The Ellsbury contract is totally insane. Especially when you consider the Pirates have McCutchen signed for 5 years 59 million with a team option. Like WTF.

The Ellsbury contract is totally insane. Especially when you consider the Pirates have McCutchen signed for 5 years 59 million with a team option. Like WTF.

The funniest thing to me is that Ellsbury has only posted two full seasons in which he's had an OPS+ that exceeded 100. In other words, he's a 30 year-old speed player being paid over $20 million per season, right at the age that speed traditionally declines, with two seasons in his career that he's been an above-average offensive performer and he received eight years.

It's a horrifically bad contract on New York's part. Just shambolic.

cathalkelly @cathalkelly
Strategically, the Ellsbury deal is a flaming tire for the Yankees. From their key perspective - 'Eat me, Boston!' - it's a huge winner.

Back