• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

If I was the Yankees I'd have signed Choo, and let someone else vastly overpay Jacoby.

This

Both are going to end up with 7 years or so, but i suspect Choo will hold up much better.

Only key difference right now is Jacoby is a CF, and a good one, Choo is a RF who sort of plays CF

I can see a bidding war between Boston and Detroit for Choo...with Kemp as a fallback option for Boston.

given that brett gardiner can hold it down in centre this is a colossally stupid signing for new york. granderson might have had some injury problems lsat year, but has had a much healthier career than ellsbury, and there is only two years separating the two.

i just can't imagine a scenario where this deal is actually worth it in the tail end. of course, they're probably hoping that the short porch helps ellsbury in much the same way it helped granderson.

yup. Gardiner is a much better CF than Ellsbury.

and Ellsbury's arm doesn't play in RF at ALL.

this looks a lot like the crawford signing.

I love Ellsbury, but he's always injured so it's a risk to begin with, plus as people have mentioned he's a speed guy and that part of his game will start to decline in a couple of years. Seems like a pretty ridiculous contract. I would have been willing to sign him to similar dollars on a 5-year deal, but even that is pushing it.

Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1 26m
#Yankees close to signing Kelly Johnson to a 1-yr about $2.75-3M. Plan is to play a lot around diamond, potential 2b option if Cano leaves

Ruth, Clemens, Boggs, Damon.......Yankees have won a few World Series with Red Sox "rejects", in their day.

Kind of missing the point.

If New York's primary motivation is to screw Boston, they've evidently been doing an exceedingly poor job of it recently given that the Red Sox have three times as many titles since the turn of the millennium.

If I was the Yankees I'd have signed Choo, and let someone else vastly overpay Jacoby.

Easily. Choo is arguably a top ten bat in either league and a plus defender. Plate discipline holds up regardless of age, unlike speed, and Choo is one of the best in that regard.

i think New York saw how Boston won with speed at the top of the order and are excited at the prospect of Gardiner and Ellsbury at the top of the order.

The problem being is that they overpaid in years and signed the wrong player.

Gardiner is a better CF than Jacoby and they are either going to devalue their OF by putting Jacoby in CF and Gardiner in LF or they put Gardiner in CF where he belongs and have either an overpaid Jacoby in LF or in RF where his arm doesn't project well.

It's yet to be seen if this move prevents them from keeping Cano or not, but if it does it's a right proper disaster.

Choo should have been the play for NYY, they could have slotted him in RF, got him for cheaper (probably), and he would've been a better player over a long term.

The David Price sweepstakes is expected to heat up later this week, multiple executives with interest in the left-handed ace told Yahoo Sports, as the Tampa Bay Rays begin to survey the market for the former Cy Young winner and consider whether to trade him.

The Seattle Mariners, Los Angeles Dodgers, Los Angeles Angels, Pittsburgh Pirates, Texas Rangers, Arizona Diamondbacks and Toronto Blue Jays are among the teams that not only have an interest in Price but believe they can put together the sort of package to pry Price from the Rays, sources said.

Rival officials told Yahoo Sports the Rays aren't necessarily inclined to go strictly for a package of young players, either. Were a team to offer an established major league player with a team-friendly contract as the headliner, the Rays have indicated they would consider that sort of a deal as well.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Back