• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

people make me laugh when they say "oooh, my GM is into analytics, I'm so excited"

that meant something 20 years ago.....now it just means you're not illiterate

to the point that if they’re promoting it as some kind of bonafides, itd make me question if they’re actually well behind the curve.

With the extended playoffs, very few teams are out of it by the deadline. And everyone needs and can use pitching. I don't think you want to really count on loading up at the deadline.

Just this year, Verlander, Giolito, Scherzer, Lorenzen, Civale, Lance Lynn (bad season, but not a bad guy to take a chance on bounce back) all got moved at or around the deadline.

The team doesn't need pitching, because they already spent the effort on it the last couple years. And the guys they got, I don't think they necessarily have a lot of extra value. Like we're not getting much back if we floated a guy like Berrios, and if we did, we'd need someone like him anyways. The team also should have Tiedemann by August maybe to come in as a late pick me up.

I'm not saying what they need to go going forward, but what the philosophy should have been before they fucked it all up by spending all the money on mid ass talent.

Thing is, there was nothing actually stopping Schneider from saying "Fuck it, i'm keeping him in".

Yes, he'd be risking his job, but he might have risked it anyways.
He was warming up Kikuchi in the second. He had decided BEFORE the game that Berrios was coming out early. Guy is busy striking everyone out and he grabs him after 48 pitches. Legitimately one of the dumbest managerial decisions I’ve ever seen on the Jays, certainly the dumbest in a critical game.

He’s one of the worst managers we’ve ever had, if not the worst.

He was warming up Kikuchi in the second. He had decided BEFORE the game that Berrios was coming out early. Guy is busy striking everyone out and he grabs him after 48 pitches. Legitimately one of the dumbest managerial decisions I’ve ever seen on the Jays, certainly the dumbest in a critical game.

I mean, it's a do or die game, you have a very splitty pitcher against a very lefty heavy lineup, and you have a lefty in the pen who was just as good as your starter. It got a couple of their lefties out of the game. And the Jays ended up scoring less runs than Berrios gave up anyways.

That being said, given that Gausman didn't go long in game 1, and Bassitt is just as much if not more splitty, yeah, I think you should have stuck with him at least to finish the 2nd time through the lineup. Or really, given that Minny is a pretty platoon-heavy lineup, maybe they should have gone with an opener for the game, and then bring in either Berrios or Kikuchi depending on who Minny actually put in their lineup. Might not have been the dumbest thing to do.

makes no difference with zero runs

Back