• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

could make an argument that Berrios was starting to give them some belief that maybe could have paid off with some confidence with risp at some point tho.
Yup, exactly what I was gonna say.

The pull basically dumped cold water on the entire team, especially when it backfired and Kikichi turned inheriting a guy on first into a two run deficit.

I mean, it's a do or die game, you have a very splitty pitcher against a very lefty heavy lineup, and you have a lefty in the pen who was just as good as your starter. It got a couple of their lefties out of the game. And the Jays ended up scoring less runs than Berrios gave up anyways.

That being said, given that Gausman didn't go long in game 1, and Bassitt is just as much if not more splitty, yeah, I think you should have stuck with him at least to finish the 2nd time through the lineup. Or really, given that Minny is a pretty platoon-heavy lineup, maybe they should have gone with an opener for the game, and then bring in either Berrios or Kikuchi depending on who Minny actually put in their lineup. Might not have been the dumbest thing to do.

Yeah I was thinking this as well…..would have been awfully ballsy, but so was pulling Berrios…

could make an argument that Berrios was starting to give them some belief that maybe could have paid off with some confidence with risp at some point tho.
Someone said this already but I also don’t think that pickoff play at 2B happens if it’s a 0-0 tie.

could Bo have called for a timeout the second he saw Correa breaking to the base?
If he calls it and the ump grants it before the pitcher spins (and he hasn't used his one), presumably. But Bo should be focused on the pitcher not what goes on behind him, otherwise he'll be lost at the plate in that spot.

If the call was safe, could Minny have demanded a review?
Yep. You get two challenges in the playoffs instead of just one (plus can ask the umpires to use their discretion to review any other close plays later in the game if you’re out of challenges.) MIN would have for sure challenged.

Lol why the Jays' hate? Expos didn't move here you know.
In the mid-70's then Expos owner Charles Bronfman lobbied hard to get Toronto into the majors (he wanted them in the National League but in the majors in any case) Then, 30 or so years later, the Jays voted in favor of contracting the Expos so they could hog the entire Canadian market for themselves. It was a cunt move considering that there were already more than enough votes in favor that the Jays could have voted against it just as a symbolic gesture. But no. It was "fuck those guys."

So my stance ever since has been "No, fuck YOU guys."

Besides, and like I've told you before, I root against any team in any sport in any league that wears the word "Toronto" on its uniforms.

(or Dallas)

I grew up an Expos fan myself, but I don't get how Jays can be blamed for Expos issues. But they do get blamed.
I don't "blame" them for anything. I dislike Toronto teams because I'm a born Montrealer who believes that rooting for any team from Toronto is grounds to revoke your smoked meat and poutine privileges for life.

Analytics should be just one tool, not the entire tool box. Many championships were won by managers who looked at an excellent pitching performance and said, "No, leave him out there, he is in command".
And many more were lost by managers who looked at an excellent pitching performance and said, "He looks to be in command but pitch counts are pitch counts."

Pitch count pulls are mostly about protecting the pitcher’s health.

Yesterday’s decision was to gain a 0.02% probability advantage on a data table that doesn’t take subjective factors into account (ie a flawed analysis).

I attended many games
As did I, whenever I was in town, and when I lived in Vancouver I even went to see the Expos when they played interleague games in Seattle. One of my best memories was a pre-season game between the Jays and Expos at a sold out BC Place stadium that was 90% bandwagon Jays fans where BC boy Larry Walker and the Expos put the boots to the then-defending champs. I made a lot of friends that day.

ah he posted a longer version:

Further proof that Vlad Jr. may have great athletic ability but his baseball IQ is room temperature at best. Why the fuck would you take such a huge lead off the base when you aren't even the lead runner? Just friggin' stupid.

K
Someone said this already but I also don’t think that pickoff play at 2B happens if it’s a 0-0 tie.
1000% this. Vladdy knowing they can’t manufacture runs, there’s 2 outs and they’re down 2 late, he had to try to get every advantage to make sure he scored if Bo poked one through. He couldn’t hear Luis Rivera because it was too loud and he got caught, great play by Correa, but if Bo pokes one Vladdy probably ties that up.

He really wanted to erase that tie, not only for the sake of winning, but for his buddy Berrios who got screwed out of his gem. It was a bad baserunning error, no question, but that doesn’t happen if they didn’t pull Berrios.

Back