• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Playoffs 2022

I dunno if I’m that happy or confident if I’m the Avs.

Oilers had no goaltending for first 30 minutes, Makar goal shouldn’t have counted, and it lead to a PP that yielded another goal. Francouz played like Hasek….and they barely escaped with a 7-6 win

Was obviously onside.
This is what proponents of video review in sports consistently get wrong. Yes you can look at that play last night, call it a good goal and be technically correct but it's still a bad goal that should not have counted and which, 9 times out of 10, gets whistled offside before the puck ever gets into the net.

Pro sports is, at the end of the day, not life and death. What it actually is, is an entertainment product. And for that product to work, the calls can't just be technically correct, they have to look and feel "right". That goal last night didn't look or feel legitimate and since perception is reality in such things then it's not a righteous goal no matter how you want to parse the rulebook. Fans don't want plays like this to cause a 10 minute delay in the action while a bunch of nerds replay the incident over and over trying to spot the fly shit in the pepper. The only people who need everything to be technically correct are gamblers. Fans just want the game played and officiated in a way that looks and feels right and which provides entertainment value. That's why refs don't call penalties on every shift despite the fact that they see clear fouls committed on every shift. To do so would destroy the flow of the game and render it an unwatchable mess.

And in the case of that goal last night, it's only a good goal if you give Makar the benefit of the doubt regarding his intent. Otherwise he was just shoveling the puck ahead of himself, unaware that his teammate was offside. Yes technically the puck wasn't touching his stick for a second, but Makar was never not in complete control of it. It was one fluid play on his part and it feels wrong when you look at it at normal speed. It should have been ruled offside to comply with the spirit of the rule rather than ruled onside to comply with the letter of the rule because it's better for your product in the long run. The last thing any fan wants or needs is to be told that something which clearly looked and felt wrong is actually right, followed by Ron McLean, the referees' most sycophantic apologist, spend the intermission lecturing the fans about why the refs made a "great call".

If it feels like a bunch of bullshit to the fans, then that's what it is, even if it technically isn't.

This is what proponents of video review in sports consistently get wrong. Yes you can look at that play last night, call it a good goal and be technically correct but it's still a bad goal that should not have counted and which, 9 times out of 10, gets whistled offside before the puck ever gets into the net.

Pro sports is, at the end of the day, not life and death. What it actually is, is an entertainment product. And for that product to work, the calls can't just be technically correct, they have to look and feel "right". That goal last night didn't look or feel legitimate and since perception is reality in such things then it's not a righteous goal no matter how you want to parse the rulebook. Fans don't want plays like this to cause a 10 minute delay in the action while a bunch of nerds replay the incident over and over trying to spot the fly shit in the pepper. The only people who need everything to be technically correct are gamblers. Fans just want the game played and officiated in a way that looks and feels right and which provides entertainment value. That's why refs don't call penalties on every shift despite the fact that they see clear fouls committed on every shift. To do so would destroy the flow of the game and render it an unwatchable mess.

And in the case of that goal last night, it's only a good goal if you give Makar the benefit of the doubt regarding his intent. Otherwise he was just shoveling the puck ahead of himself, unaware that his teammate was offside. Yes technically the puck wasn't touching his stick for a second, but Makar was never not in complete control of it. It was one fluid play on his part and it feels wrong when you look at it at normal speed. It should have been ruled offside to comply with the spirit of the rule rather than ruled onside to comply with the letter of the rule because it's better for your product in the long run. The last thing any fan wants or needs is to be told that something which clearly looked and felt wrong is actually right, followed by Ron McLean, the referees' most sycophantic apologist, spend the intermission lecturing the fans about why the refs made a "great call".

If it feels like a bunch of bullshit to the fans, then that's what it is, even if it technically isn't.
Excellent post. You have it spot on.

This is a play that those who grow up with hockey know as offside, regardless of any "technical aspect". It would have been called that way for generations. And anyway, there is no way you can argue Makar was not in control of the puck even if it wasn't stuck to his stick as you said. Players push the puck ahead of themselves all the time, on breakaways,etc. where they have space. Its a way we were taught to get it up the ice quickly, as opposed to losing time by keeping it on your stick.

Idiots.

Last edited:
Like i mentioned yesterday, Tampa had trouble against fast Leafs team, had it easy against slow Panthers forwards, and now trouble again against a fast Rangers team

Tampa is in trouble because they don't have league protection against the Rangers. They won't be getting those easy calls, the Rangers will.

Meh, Tampa is only as good as Vasielevsky is, and especially dangerous when taking a lead. Vasi wasn't good tonight and Tampa never had a lead.

Its crazy that Florida and Vegas canned Gallant after the success he had. I guess management teams there weren't very enlightened. If they had been, you would think they would have found a way to make it work somehow with Gallant.

He is on the top of his game as a coach, and has been for some years now.

Its crazy that Florida and Vegas canned Gallant after the success he had. I guess management teams there weren't very enlightened. If they had been, you would think they would have found a way to make it work somehow with Gallant.
Gallant is a huge asshole. Needs it his way.

Owners don't like that sometimes. He wears out his welcome like Torts.

Gallant is a huge asshole. Needs it his way.

Owners don't like that sometimes. He wears out his welcome like Torts.
He likely is, based on his difficulties. Still....he is dam good. You would think there would be a way....

Of course I was an active union member all my life :). It probably shows.

Arturri having a nice game....elite forechecking leads to 1G 1A

now 6 goals and 9 pts in 16 games these playoffs...pas mal

Back