• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Season Ending State of the Union / Expansion Draft Thread

FWIW- if Weber & Drouin are put on LTIR, Habs will have $28M in cap space this off-season to play with, $31M is they buyout Byron.

That’s insane space for a team that just went to the Cup finals...

With all the draft picks, prospects & cap space available ....make no doubt, that shits going down
Some of our current FA's will be retained (Lehk, Armia (possibly), Danault, Perry). These guys would chew up about $10-$11 million.

In general though I agree with the premise of what you said. We were two players away from being a repeat contender with cap space for one going into the off season. Now we are 3 players away with potentially cap space for 3.

This is also an expansion year so payers are available. This is Nero's curtain call. That Chicago sexual abuse scandal is about to explode and heads will roll across the industry.

"Admittedly, a bit of a tease to close Ice Breakers: With the Montreal Canadiens potentially gaining $7.86 million in more salary cap flexibility dependent on Shea Weber’s injuries, do not rule out the Habs making a play for Sabres captain Jack Eichel."

FWIW- if Weber & Drouin are put on LTIR, Habs will have $28M in cap space this off-season to play with, $31M is they buyout Byron.

That’s insane space for a team that just went to the Cup finals...

With all the draft picks, prospects & cap space available ....make no doubt, that shits going down
You thinking Eichel?

I think it'll be something unexpected. Like Tkachuk or Tarasenko.

If he is good to go medically, Eichel would be a tremendous add. However, you know that Buffalo will ask for Suzuki and/or CC in any package, but the Habs would only offer KK

It would take a lot of assets to get that done though. Might be better off sticking to UFA.

I don’t think Eichel market value will be anywhere near as high as being bandied about.

I think Eichel can be had for KK + Primeau + Harris + 1st

Ana & LA have apparently told Sabres to go pound sand no Zegras, Byfield or any top prospects

Potential 1st of its kind surgery for an NHL player + cap hit will / has driven down demand

It would take a lot of assets to get that done though. Might be better off sticking to UFA.
I can’t see McDonagh costing much, TBay needs to get cap compliant, now will he waive his NMC for Mtl? Dunno.

Other D options are UFA

Does he make his team mates better? Does he play 200 feet? Surely this playoff run shows the PPG is just one measure.

Does he make his team mates better? Does he play 200 feet? Surely this playoff run shows the PPG is just one measure.
Most of his points come off of assists (139 goals, 216 assists, 355 points for his career to date) so one could at least argue that he's trying to make his teammates better. But this is the Sabres we're talking about. He isn't a miracle worker.

Back