• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Fucking Offseason Thread - Why bother waiting?

Biggest issue was that our best players weren't able to pot in one more goal last year needed to move us forward.

Now with this line up, have we given them a helping hand? seems to me that we are simply hoping for them to grow and become dependable, while the rest of the line up is filed with 'safe' defensively aware choices.

I might buy into Matty stepping up, but I don't have faith Marner can. I also don't have faith that the big 3 can lift the team to a Stanley Cup by themselves.

Biggest issue was that our best players weren't able to pot in one more goal last year needed to move us forward.

Now with this line up, have we given them a helping hand? seems to me that we are simply hoping for them to grow and become dependable, while the rest of the line up is filed with 'safe' defensively aware choices.

I might buy into Matty stepping up, but I don't have faith Marner can. I also don't have faith that the big 3 can lift the team to a Stanley Cup by themselves.

This is really what I'm trying to get at at the end of the day, I guess. I'd love not to be negative but I think the Kampf deal really took the wind out of my sails. If it's another Bunting type signing I probably feel a bit better.

I like what we did in goal though. I think both goalies are capable of avoiding long losing streaks and winning necessary number of games to get us to the playoffs. We won't be holding our breaths waiting for the inevitable Campbell injury now.

It's pretty clear to me that they got worse. And IMO they had an opportunity and cap space to get better. So it's unfortunate.

But it's not over. Maybe there's more to come.
There are 100% trades on the horizon. There's no chance this is their full gameplan.

I'd say a 50/50 chance we get one of the remaining name UFAs on a cheap deal, and then it's trade time dealing from the D.

And they must be hoping to have Robertson, Sandin, and Lilly all step in. If not, they must be thinking of trading one, and of that group it would have to be Lilly.

Did it score more together, or when the individual players were playing up the lineup?

For example, 10 of the goals scored as part of Kerfoot's 23 points involved Matthews, Marner, Nylander, or Tavares.

Same as Simmonds really...3 of his 9 goals came playing way out of slot on the 1st PP unit. 9 goals in 38 games sounds like great scoring depth on your 3rd-4th line. 6 goals in 38 games sounds less impressive.

Well let's look.

ES pts pace

18-19 -----> 20-21

Marner 70 -----> Matthews 84
Tavares 69 ----> Marner 76
Matthews 64 -> Tavares 56

Hyman 46 ----> Hyman 53
Johnsson 42 -> Nylander 50
Kapanen 41 ---> Spezza 38

Kadri 35 --------> Kerfoot 37
Nylander 32 ---> Galchenyuk 38
Marleau 27 ---> Thornton 28

Brown 25 -----> Mikheyev 24
Ennis 21 -----> Engvall 23
Gauthier 16 -> Simmonds 19

It's pretty clear to me that they got worse. And IMO they had an opportunity and cap space to get better. So it's unfortunate.

The biggest problem all year was Freddie. His .895 has been upgraded.

As of now, the only downgrade is we haven't replaced Hyman yet, but a) we will, and b) does anyone think our topline will really be any worse off?

Kampf feels like they struck out on a short list of centers and felt they had to overpay a bit to get likely the 3rd/4th option on their list.

This will sure up the PK as well.

I don't have an issue with Kampf. I think he can play a role here. Just not the role I would've wanted the team to focus on.

I'm hoping there's more because yeah if this is it we're going to be going on 2 off seasons and a trade deadline of uninspiring work from Dubas.

I get that the concept up front was to throw a bunch of elite talent together and then get good defensively (which we absolutely have), I just think that you need to have quality complimentary skill to work with the elite guys. The elite guys need to produce, but when they're being collapsed on, it creates space for the complimentary guys. Hyman is a good hockey player and we'll miss him, but in that playoff series, who had better chances than him? You need complimentary guys make teams paying for putting the emphasis on Matthews-Marner

Still haven't really replaced Hyman, would have loved to grab Palmieri on a 2-3 year deal.

Kampf feels like they struck out on a short list of centers and felt they had to overpay a bit to get likely the 3rd/4th option on their list.
Want to know what's up with Bonino. They had to be interested... Did they just feel he wasn't worth it for 500k more? Did he not want to come?

The biggest problem all year was Freddie. His .895 has been upgraded.

As of now, the only downgrade is we haven't replaced Hyman yet, but a) we will, and b) does anyone think our topline will really be any worse off?
Well I just mean they haven't gotten better than the playoff roster that we saw. Only one goalie plays! Getting rid of Fred is nice tho, I agree. I just hoped for more and maybe it comes.

And yeah, to be clear I'm not saying the team is bad. It's clear that Dubas' goal wasn't even to improve it. He seems to be just trying to sustain how good they were last year. And maybe that's the correct approach in the end. I'm not gonna blame any fan for being skeptical.

Back