• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Fucking Offseason Thread - Why bother waiting?

Tatar is not the answer. Benched during a playoff run? No thank you.

I’m so down on our roster right now.

Mrazek is decent I guess. Even then I don’t know if he’s good enough.

And I'm saying they're worse today. Still hopeful they do more

I'm really ok with people arguing the goaltending upgrade from Fred's sub .900 and improvements from Sandin Lilly mean more than the forward group being worse, but I'm not sure why people would argue the forward group isn't worse right now. I think the fact that we were shut down so easily offensively makes me a tad concerned we appear to have less offensive depth this time around.

Lots of room left for the prospects to grow.

$1.5M for a replacement level player was not my idea of filling the 3C hole. Dubas still has lots of work to do to make this team something better than the one that did a giant belly flop last year.

I don't doubt that the leafs are great but... that guys model has Bunting as the second coming of Connor McDavid. lets be a little fair.

Matthews ----> Matthews
Marner --------> Marner
Nylander -----> Nylander

Tavares -------> Tavares
Hyman --------> ???
Vesey/Galy --> Bunting

Kerfoot ----> Kerfoot
Mikheyev -> Mikheyev
Spezza ----> Spezza

Engvall ----> Kampf
Thornton -> Engvall

Simmonds -> Simmonds

Brooks ---------> Brooks
Robertson ----> Robertson
Barabanov ----> Anderson

Boyd --------> Amadio
Petan ------> Ho-Sang
Sabourin --> Gabriel

I think the conversation has to start from an agreement that concerns about wing/scoring depth were brought up last year and we took a "wait and see approach" because Thornton, Simmonds, Vesey, and hopes that pre injury Mikky was for real. We waited and we saw, and the takeaway should be that we don't have enough scoring depth. Yes, if we look at team scoring we're always going to come away thinking that we're awesome. The Big 4 scored 97 goals last season (out of 132). 74% of our goal scoring came off of 4 sticks and 112 (85%) came off of 5 sticks. We're really, really reliant on the Big 4 + Hyman to score goals and now we've lost our Hyman.

Any analysis that starts with the assumption we were good enough last year and thus, being as good as that or close this year is fine, is faulty from the onset imo. We're starting the game with a huge talent advantage in our top 4 and then not fully taking advantage of it by leaving the 4 of them on an island where if they don't score goals, we lose games.

So yeah, we waited and saw. Well, it was a valid concern then as time and shown us and it's become an even more pressing concern with the loss of Hyman. Yes, any team with 40 million to 4 guys is going to depend on them to large degree....but for 83% of our non Hyman goals? That's a heavy ask, and let's not get into the fact that we arrive at those numbers without stacking our PP.

Lots of room left for the prospects to grow.

$1.5M for a replacement level player was not my idea of filling the 3C hole. Dubas still has lots of work to do to make this team something better than the one that did a giant belly flop last year.

I don't think Kampf is the 3C, I think he's the 4C and Kerfoot is still the 3C.

I don't think Kampf is the 3C, I think he's the 4C and Kerfoot is still the 3C.

Yep. Which brings us again to Dubas's decision to make the McCann trade. Maybe he had some faint hope they wouldn't take McCann, but otherwise he still saw Kerf as his third line center and wanted to protect him.

Back