• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Fucking Offseason Thread - Why bother waiting?

Really not that crazy to say that the needs and wants up front have not been addressed. Also not crazy to be concerned that with 3-4m in cap space, they may not be addressed.

We also all acknowledge that they're really really good. We just want them to be even better.

There were two weak points in the team last year:

1. Fred
2. The PP

1. Was addressed well today.
1. Was unaffected today.

The only way you think we're hurt today is if you really think M&M will be any worse without hyman.

For the record jfresh had the Leafs projected at 107pts in 4th place .....yesterday.

You'll never hear me argue that we're not a really good hockey team. We absolutely are. I don't like that we've limited our path to the cup down to "4 guys whip out their cocks and out score the league".

and INB4 "all teams win like that"...no, they don't. Tampa scored 75 goals in the playoffs, and 38 of them came off of their top 4 performers (51%). The year before they scored 77 goals and 42 came out of their top 4 (55%).

St Louis: 38 of 75 (51%)
Caps: 42 of 86 (49%)
Pens: 39 of 77 (51%)
Pens: 31 of 73 (43)

So I'm down with this whole thing of betting on the elite talent to be elite, so maybe we can expect to lean on them a little heavier than past champions....but 20% heavier? Nope. That's just a failure to provide any insulation for the Big 4 at all, and it currently looks like we're about to do it again.

For the record, that's what my Jared McCann ranting was about at it's core. We depend way, way too much on 4 players to generate our offence. We're fucking devoid of offensive talent outside of those 4.

I don't know if Bunting can be anywhere near as good as Hyman, but he's Dubas/Keefe's Hyman. Dubas talks about him the same way Babs talked about Hyman.

“He wants to be here in Toronto and just views it as a good fit for the style of player he is with our group of forwards — and I can’t argue with him on that,”

“I think we need somebody like him, and a few guys like him, to be competitive, to bring that tenacity and also (have) the ability to make plays and score.”

“We just look at him as somebody that’s extremely hungry,” Dubas said.

“We know the way he’s gonna play every single day — he’s gonna leave everything he has out on the ice.”

There were two weak points in the team last year:

1. Fred
2. The PP

1. Was addressed well today.
1. Was unaffected today.

The only way you think we're hurt today is if you really think M&M will be any worse without hyman.

3. Offensive depth

Cool, when Dom posts his projections, I'll happily take a look. All I know right now is that dude's model literally projects Bunting as the addition of another Auston Matthews level player at the moment, according to the author himself.

An eye test glance of our roster leaves me feeling identical to how it did when I wrote what I did earlier about us being way, way too reliant on 4 guys for putting the puck in the net.
I don't understand. He's not another Matthews? Why were people posting that racist STEAL gif??

Pretty ugly down the middle if you move Kerf in a deal for Top 6 wing.
Yeah, Would have been nice to get a real 3c today. For me that's where they went wrong because trading Kerf becomes far riskier now. Hell, offer 1m more to Bonino over the 2 years and get him at a 2.5 AAV. I'm not convinced he says no to that.

Yeah, Would have been nice to get a real 3c today. For me that's where they went wrong because trading Kerf becomes far riskier now. Hell, offer 1m more to Bonino over the 2 years and get him at a 2.5 AAV. I'm not convinced he says no to that.

Yeah, missing on Bonino is a bad whiff imo. He's exactly what we needed there.

Back