• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother-fucking goddamn Off-season Thread

And beyond that, let Kerf go, trade Yarn Cock if you can.. Brodie is getting older. Does he have another season in him? Does Gio? Fuck me, it would be nice to have a young LD in the pipeline ready for a larger role. Oh wait...

I mean no matter what they do, there is a very strong case that it could age horribly. I'm not going to pretend I know what the right move is.

If you hold a gun to my head, I try to trade Marner in a "hockey" trade for an impact player at any position but goalie, but those trades rarely available. My bet is the they trade Nylander and bring the rest of the gang back. That's the pussy "in-between" move. Realistically the three real possibilities are:

1. Trade Matthews or Marner (probably Marner) in a "hockey trade" where you get at least 1 impact player back.
2. Trade Nylander for scraps (which is all they'll get) and deploy that money on another impact player.
3. Bring everyone back and tRuSt tHe pRoCeSs

I don't know what I'd do but I think I may hate #2 the most. But I also think it's the most likely by far. I suppose you can trade Nylander AND Marner depending on what they get in return. That would be a major shakeup and I wouldn't be opposed to it if they got real value back. But man, I'm just not confident they would.
Trade Nylander for a top four D. Sign Meier.

And of course if Matthews gives any indication that he wants out, then he's the guy you trade. But between him and Marner, he's going to way way way way harder to replace and unless they somehow get a unicorn 1C in return for him, they probably won't be contenders next year. I question if JT is a 2C, much less 1C. Best case scenario for me is they extend Auston and they ship out ol' Mitchie for a legit NHL-ready package. Otherwise, if you trade Matthews you might as well blow it up I think.

They’ll get their answer on Matthews soon enough. If whoever is managing the team wants to sign Matthews to an extension and Matthews isn’t willing to sign it, then it’s a no-brainer. You trade him before the start of training camp.

Under no circumstance can they roll into next season with Matthews as a pending UFA.

I'd mock your sample size but as an actuary you know better.
21 points in 44 career playoff games. Not so small! Nylander has 38 in 48, by comparison. Not sure that's an upgrade tbh. He's a quality player but he's not the solution to the Leafs playoff failures.

It’s also very dumb and coming at a time when dumb ideas appear to be sane
How is it dumb to trade a guy who will be looking to max out on money and term when his contract is due? What has he won for you that you couldn't have won without him? (Art Ross and Richard trophies don't count)

There really is no "tear-down" here. We need to build-build-build, we need to continue to accumulate draft picks/players, we need the cap to rise quickly, then Dubas needs to be ready to strike when another short-sighted GM looks to dump a young player.

Samsonov/Woll should be fine next season, I liked Sammy's game and he was clutch in game 6 of the TB series. Sign him for 2-3 seasons and send Murray to the glue factory.

Big offseason move? Fire Keefe.

But when he retaliated he goes to the box and is unable to do anything anyways. There is no winning this one. You fight, you’re a dumbass who is letting emotions get the best of you. You don’t? You’re a gigantic pussy who won’t stand up for yourself.
You don't retaliate by fighting, you retaliate by targeting the other team's skill players. Fighting isn't a deterrent. Deliberately injuring star players is.

21 points in 44 career playoff games. Not so small! Nylander has 38 in 48, by comparison. Not sure that's an upgrade tbh. He's a quality player but he's not the solution to the Leafs playoff failures.
You needed Tkachuk. Period. On a line with Matthews? That would have been devastating.

Trade for Draisaitl, whispers he's fed up in Edmonton and biding his time.

But when he retaliated he goes to the box and is unable to do anything anyways. There is no winning this one. You fight, you’re a dumbass who is letting emotions get the best of you. You don’t? You’re a gigantic pussy who won’t stand up for yourself.
Disagree. Nobody calls MacKinnon or Crosby or Kucherov a dumbass for not taking any shit. You can't mess with those guys without them taking their pound of flesh in return. It speaks to their competitiveness and shows they're not scared.

I'm looking at those four guys right now and saying they don't elevate in the playoffs, they shy away when the intensity picks up, they bitch out. And it maybe shouldn't be that surprising.

And again I'm not saying you can't win with those guys. Obviously each of them are great hockey players who would make any team better. More passive guys are a part of winning teams all the time.

But maybe you can't win when all four are exactly the same.

Please tell me you're not going to compare SJ and Toronto in the playoffs as the teams were constructed though.

I get what you're saying though. Not enough jam there. More like a sideways move. The prize is the D you manage to bring in. Fuck it. Take Karlsson😂

You needed Tkachuk. Period. On a line with Matthews? That would have been devastating.
Would have been nice but it is what it is. Best course of action may be to find a Marner replacement that can be the engine to the composed, low energy Matthews to light a fire up his ass when it matters most. Tkachuk would have been it but maybe they can find another one. At the very least it's gotta be the priority and heavily explored.

Trading Matthews if he's cool with staying and signing long-term would be lunacy.

Disagree. Nobody calls MacKinnon or Crosby or Kucherov a dumbass for not taking any shit. You can't mess with those guys without them taking their pound of flesh in return. It speaks to their competitiveness and shows they're not scared.

I'm looking at those four guys right now and saying they don't elevate in the playoffs, they shy away when the intensity picks up, they bitch out. And it maybe shouldn't be that surprising.

And again I'm not saying you can't win with those guys. Obviously each of those 4 guys are great hockey players who would make any team better. More passive guys are a part of winning teams all the time.

But maybe you can't win when all four are exactly the same.
So much this. When offended they don't get mean.

Please tell me you're not going to compare SJ and Toronto in the playoffs as the teams were constructed though.

I get what you're saying though. Not enough jam there. More like a sideways move. The prize is the D you manage to bring in. Fuck it. Take Karlsson😂
Yeah that ain't movin the needle.

Back